Wet saw breaks tile at end of cut

Page 1 of 2

Hello, all. I recently bought a 7" wet tile saw. Nothing fancy, just an inexpensive Home Depot saw. The saw does a great job of cutting; however, on some types of tile, at the end of the cut it tends to chip or break a corner off the tile. Does anyone know a way to prevent this from happening? The only thing I've found that seems to help is to slow down the tile feed to a creep as I approach the edge of the tile, but this does not always prevent the chipping.
Thanks, Jack

I've had the same issue from time to time. The cause is that the blade is "prying" the tile apart, and when you get near the end, the last little bit of tile breaks off. You have the solution - go slowly at the end. You could also cut partway from one side and then turn it around and finish the cut. The ultimate solution is to get a serious saw - not cheap.
JK
I have a HD 7" tile saw. The blade that came with it had a very slight wobble to it, it cut fine but would crack the tile at the end of cut breaking the last corner off if you went a little too fast. I changed the blade for a better one, now it doesn't wobble, and cuts fine.
With all the saws that I have used owned or rented, the last 1/4" of the cut is the most critical as there can be tremendous stress on that last little piece of tile. Caution and slow feed is always the best method to get a good cut when at the end of the cut.

Flip over end to end,cut in 1/4" and flip back and continue the cut.

Yes, sometimes flipping end over end and cutting a 1/4" in will help, with some tiles it causes the glaze to chip when cutting glaze side down, and when not using a fence or other guide it can be difficult to align the bottom cut with the top, or it will not work when cutting a 45 degree mitre.

replying to Big_Jake, Swamaster wrote: Your blade probably isn't straight turn on your saw and leave it running for about 30 min it will straighten your blade
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 1:44:05 PM UTC-4, Swamaster wrote:

It's been almost a decade since the question was asked. I assume he's done with his tile job by now.
The other suggestions about going slowly at the end are good, but I also found that supporting both halves of the tile for that last 1/2" works wonders. Luckily, I bought a bunch of extra field tiles to experiment on.....

Am I missing something? My saw has a sliding table that supports the whole tile. Are there saws where half the tile hangs off the edge of the table??
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

We're talking about supporting the *back edge* of the tile when you cut.
Bob

But both the OP and Andrew talk about supporting the tile at the END of the cut. You push the table forward, and the tile goes into the blade, sometimes hanging off the table at the start of the cut. At the end of the cut, the tile is better supported than at any time during the cut. Is there another type of wet saw with a different type of table?
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

Sure. There are bridge saws (like a RAS)...saw moves, tile doesn't. There are saws with a non-moving table with fence (like a wood table saw), tile is pushed into the blade along the fence.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Big_Jake wrote:

Put another scrap tile firmly behind the one you're cutting, so as the blade breaks thru the first tile it starts cutting the scrap. (Actually, it starts cutting the scrap before it finishes the first tile.) The scrap will support the back edge of the one you are cutting.
The tile is already fully supported from the bottom at the end of the cut. You need to also support the back edge if your tiles are chipping. That's the best i can explain it. Good luck.
Bob

Might be the tiles. Denser, higher quality tiles from a tile store will be less liable to chip.

If you are using the fence, make sure it is perfectly parallel to the blade or it will chip the last little bit every time.
LJ
Cactus Jack wrote:

Push the tile with a scrap that backs-up or supports both sides of the cut, and go slow.
Bob
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'll give these ideas a try.
Jack
replying to Cactus Jack, Lynn Burton wrote: Feed your tile through upside down. Or start right side up and cut 1/2 way through, flip your rule over and finish the cut.
Lynn Burton wrote:

Do you really think Cactus Jack has been sitting in front of his saw for *NINE YEARS* waiting for your untimely reply?
You Home Moaners Nubs need to read DATES.
replying to Sam Hill, Lynn Burton wrote: No, but others who are having the same problem now tend to do a Google search and read old forums. So thanks for being a jerk!