Wet-sanding plaster

Has anyone ever wet-sanded plaster? I just tried it with great results.
Once I removed the painted, 50 year-old wallpaper from my plaster walls I had the task of removing the wallpaper paste residue. I tried Dif wallpaper remover with decent results. The only trouble was that it was very time consuming: apply to a small area, wait 10 minutes, and scrub with a wet sponge several times, then repeat for another area.
I've used wet/dry sandpaper before...some bodywork on my cars over the years and recently to smooth a cast iron table saw top. I thought, hey, why not remove the paste and smooth the walls in one step?
Yep, I like the results. Smooth walls. And I don't have to wait for anything to soak in.
Mike
Yup, it works VERY well!

If the walls are smooth, one of those thick fibrous scrubbers works very well to remove the paste.
Bob
On 20 Feb 2006 13:12:54 -0800, upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It worked for me. I used a cellulose sponge, and it has to be kept clean for the best results. One trick to see defects is to place a trouble light against the wall and look with your head against the wall.