Wet/dry vac

Already looking towards winter, making removing snow easier.

Figure I'm going to vacuum the snow off the walk & drive. What size canister would you recommend? Think a 16 gallon would do it without emptying frequently?

Reply to
Mel Letzler

Doesn't sound like a valid concept. If it were, there'd be three dozen brands on the market and a hundred models to get yer $$$$.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I am sure you do not live in Canada but if you do you should consider a 200 gallons drum and it is the minimum I would recommend. ;oP

VD

Reply to
VirtualDen

"Mel Letzler" wrote in news:ibkukh$182$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

On vehicles & porches I've been using a blower for years. Works great most of the time. Occasional heavy wet snow can be a challenge.

Reply to
Red Green

If you get out early enough before the snow has a chance to compact, a leaf blower works quite well, assuming that the driveway is less than

100 feet long and only one car wide.
Reply to
hrhofmann

Consider a small driveway, 12' wide and 50' long (600 ft^2) and a 6" snowfall. That's 300 ft^3, or about 2400 gallons. You'll only have to empty your vacuum

150 times. Go for it!
Reply to
krw

I'll second that. I use my leaf blower more in winter on snow, than I do on leaves in fall. As long as it is less than a couple inches and dry (which most snowfalls the last couple of winters around here have been), I can blow the drive and front walk quicker than I can shovel it, and it is a lot easier on my back. Even for deep snowfalls where I have to fire up the snow thrower, I use the blower to clear the thin patch under the overhang up near the garage door, to get room to turn the snow thrower around. I only have to break out the shovel for the wet stuff. And because I was stupid and bought a house with a sloping driveway, I have to clear it even for a 2" snowfall, otherwise I'm driving uphill on stripes of ice when I get home. If it snows while I am not home, I have to park in street until I can clear it- cost me a transmission learning that one.

As to vehicles- I park them inside at night, which by itself makes owning a house seem worthwhile. I only have to scrape cars if it snows during the day while I am at work, which only seems to happen one snowfall out of about 4 lately around here, for some reason.

Reply to
aemeijers

Won't work but it might be an interesting experiment. I've tried same along my garage doors; open door, vacuum only loose, light snow, get shovel, clear snow.

Reply to
Twayne