Wet coming up on hardwood

My boyfriend and I just bought a 1910 house. We did this actually expecting a LOT of work, but this has us scratching our heads:
We spent part of the weekend ripping up carpet, because it smelled of urine. Of course, we found urine/water stains on the hardwood -- we expected that, and are going to deal with it. The thing that has us stumped is, yesterday, we found the stained areas, which had been dry the day before, suddenly wet, in some places with pools of dark liquid. Does anyone know if this could be the urine/water rising from the floor, or something else? (I know there was a horror movie that started this way, though I am not seriously going there!) The basement under the floor is unfinished, and there is no visible leak, nor a water source handy. The radiators are off, and the only one of those with any real issues is two rooms away, on an exterior enclosed porch!
Any wild guesses, expert diagnosis, general sympathy welcome! Thank you all so much in advance.
-------------------------------------
On 6/13/2012 11:05 AM, VikkiC wrote:

was it built on a graveyard?
in general no, once something dries, it can't get reconstituted without an additional water source.
what kind of smell does it have?
That spot, carpet or not, may be some animal's place to urinate. If there is no water source above or near that spot, for it to have leaked there, then some animal returns to the spot, when no one is there (at night?), and does its thing.
To determine if it's a cat, tear up tissue paper (lots of small bits) and scatter it all around the spot. A cat will "collect" the tissue, when done, to cover up its business.
Sonny
On 6/13/2012 2:05 PM, VikkiC wrote:

Could water be leaking from windows/walls and running along the base of the wals, or studs and collecting on the sub-floor? Just a random thought...
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:05:03 +0000, VikkiC

Sometimes if not properly tilted the rainwater can backup and pass the flashing and get behind the siding finding its way to an interior wall where it could leak under a floor then wick up. Its worth a look anyway.
On 6/13/2012 6:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@fdcx.net wrote:

Esp. in wintertime with ice and freeze-thaw cycles....
On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:05:03 AM UTC-7, VikkiC wrote:

Where is the nearest sewer pipe, drain pipe, shower, tub, lavatory, kitchen or toilet? If there is an access door like for a shower drain then turn on the shower and check with flashlight or you may have to start making holes in the walls until you find it.
VikkiC wrote:

As urine dries it forms alkaline salts. Those salts are hygroscopic which means they suck up moisture from the atmosphare.
--

dadiOH