Wet Basement, wet carpet

Page 2 of 2

Call the fire department. They may have suggestions. I was surprised when I first found out they'd pump out peoples' basements after floods. Since they sometimes fill people's basements with water, they may have some advice. A friend of mine had a brief fire in his kitchen, but it totally filled the house with cooking smoke. The fire department loaned him some fans that could take the paint off the walls.
atippinfan78 snipped-for-privacy@kittymail.com wrote:

Hello,
If it is money youare worried about, then think about the endless thousands and thousands of $ in medical bills and medication youARE going to have because of mold.
Truly
You have one day to dry the rug before black-mold sets in. At this very moment and for several days now you have been destroying your sinuses with mold; your children can become asthmatic and you can get arthritis and mental problems, but wait- the list gets longer and worse. You have a computer; look it up on the Internet, under Google: "wet rugs and mold" BURN THE RUGS!!!!
A dehumidifier will help
atippinfan78 snipped-for-privacy@kittymail.com wrote:

rent a pressure washer. and really hose off those carpets with a 10 % solution of bleach. hang outside to dry. if raining, hang in a garage.
get them ou tof the basement, the longer you have that mildew down there, the longer it has a chance to migrate from the carpet to someplace else.

90% or more of the carpet sold in the US will be ruined by bleach. It, um, bleaches the color out... (BTW, I ought to know - I'm an engineer for the world's largest carpet manufacturer).
You need to get that carpet out of your basement. If it has mildewed, it is ruined. You won't get the smell out.
Having a second sump pump is a good option. It would be even better if you could stop the water in the first place, but that's a tough thing to in my experience.
Sorry about the flood and your loss.
KB
atippinfan78 snipped-for-privacy@kittymail.com wrote:

Go rent a rug doctor from your local rental place or maybe supermarket. Or call a carpet cleaning service. Those machines will pull more water than a shopvac.
Then use a carpet cleaning solution and maybe some additional mold killer addative .
you wont know if the carpet is salvaged until it is dry .
Some good suggestions already. Make a grid, *suspend* the carpet off the floor--after extensive cleaning, *steam* cleaning, sanitizing, etc. Heat, fans, *dehumidifier(s)*--or regular window A/C left inside the room--make sure it doesn't freeze up. Dehumifiers from Sams Club: $139. I have a couple. Will make a big, big difference, with the whole space. If you are going to dehumidify, keep the space closed off. If not, then well-ventilate it. Yeah, back up pumps... -- Mr. P.V.'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY Stop Corruption in Congress & Send the Ultimate Message: Absolutely Vote, for *Anyone BUT* a Democrat or a Republican Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way to Materially Improve Your Life entropic3.14decay at optonline2.718 dot net; remove pi and e to reply--ie, all d'numbuhs

Get a Rinse N Vac, and go over the carpet with a mild solution of bleach in addition to the extractor chemicals they provide. Worth a try.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.