Wet Basement, wet carpet

Page 1 of 2

Over the weekend, our sump pump broke and flooded are basement with 4 inches of water. The basement is finished with wall to wall carpeting . We got all the water out and salavaged most of our furniture. All of our books on the bottom bookshelves were ruined. Its a complete mess. And of course Insurance does not cover sump pump failure. So it up to us to save our beautiful finished basement. Can any one help with suggestions??? The walls are not wet, we pulled up all the carpet, tossed the padding, and we are trying to salvage the carpet. We cant afford to buy new carpet and would hate to have concrete floors! We had all the carpet on one side of the basement. I mopped the other side with bleach, trying to kill the smell. That side smelled just fine, until we moved the carpet. Now we have laid the carpet in pieces all over the basement, vacumming with wet dry vac, and using our dirt devil carpet cleaner, Just to soak up the water. We have portable heaters running and a fan to circulate the heat. But the carpet is still wet, Not soaking wet, but wet. We cant seem to vacuum out any more water, it just stays wet. The smell is unbearable. I want to save this carpet so bad, Can any one help with suggetions??

Obviously, carpet in the basement is a mistake. You'd be better off with painted cement floors, and inexpensive throw rugs in places where you really need them.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Hello,
I could tell you what to do to save the rug, however since it is in the basement, i feel i had better not. Nothing wrong with cement (landscapers call it landscaping). Lots of exotic plants; water fountain; fire place; large, flat rocks and pebbles; brick borders with ivy; mirrors; drapes; broad- spectrum light bulbs over the plants and trees; spot lights; pretty pictures on the walls; netting with sea creatures, seaweed and shells; occasional reed/wicker rugs; porch furniture; statues - use your imagination. Like, man, who said you have to do it like everybody else. NO PAINT!!! No paint ANYWHERE!!!! It peels: use ivy. Keep it natural . . . A nice, rolled dance floor would be elegant and healthy. Band Stand? Wall-to-wall aquariam?
Truly

-What???

I think he's reiterating that carpet in a basement is not such a hot idea, especially if the house requires a sump pump.
By the way, when the worst is over, you might want to investigate having a 2nd pump in place. Some run with water pressure. If you're on a well and the power goes off, this won't help you. But, if pump #1 dies, it would help.

Maybe it not a good idea, But I'm from California, and We moved to the mid west 3 years ago, and I dont know, escuse me, I didn't know anything about sump pumps before. I guess I was Niave. We bought a home with a beautiful finished basement that had wall to wall plush carpeting. We have the home office, game room, gym, and Family room in the basement. Completely furnished. When we bought home insurance, our agent told us we didn't need flood insurance because we didnt live in a flood zone. He never mentioned about buying sump pump faliure insurance. Now this happened, And were screwed. I'm just trying to get things back to normal, some how. And Yes I have already planned on buying the sump pump back up as soon as we get the basement back together again. Right now I'm just trying to find any suggestions on how to save the carpet. And wouldn't have the water been higher if the carpet hadnt soaked up so Much of it?? So maybe in a way it helped.

My ex's house was damaged by ice damming, another issue you might want to discuss with you NEW insurance agent. She found out she had a policy which didn't cover ice damming, which is nuts considering the climate here. She found a new agent who immediately mentioned the issue.
atippinfan78 snipped-for-privacy@kittymail.com wrote:

so Much of it??<<<<
no ..........the carpet did nothing to reduce the depth of the flood, it anything it wicked the water higher.
A room below grade is subject to flooding by all sorts of water sources.
The room & it's furnishing must be designed, bought & installed with that in mind
OR
you must a a redundant system(s) for insuring no flooding.
OR Both
Carpet, in this situation is, generally speaking is a bad idea.
If you really want to save it you've got to do the bleach thing, heavily........ but that will be very hard on the carpet backing. Carpet backing is food for mold & mildew.
If it's raining outside you're going to have a hard time drying the carpet out. You need to get outside air in there & your've got the get heaters & fans going 24/7. That room has to be hot & vented.
You rinsurance agent ain't much help & what about your real estate agent as well. This room must have flooded before?
Get ready for the end result.....un-usable carpet...it's gonna be diffiuclt to save :(
cheers Bob
atippinfan78 snipped-for-privacy@kittymail.com says...

BTDTGTTS (been there done that got the t-shirt).
I'm afraid you're screwed as far as the carpet. Last time I had that problem, ServPro came *within 18 hours* pulled it up and dried it, but there still was some deterioriation of the backing - but not so much that it couldn't go down again. It's 10 years later and still OK. But - today's Wednesday and this happened over the weekend and you're getting that smell? Hello! Sorry, it's going to the landfill. :(
You can get sump pump coverage; you can also get "Low-risk" flood insurance if you're not in a flood plain. That should cover runoff, if that's your basic water problem. Bought that carpet with flood insurance from a big event two years earlier, as a matter of fact.
I disagree with those who say carpet in your basement is a no-can-do (although I've surely joked about having an indoor swimming pool down there!) My philosophy on it is that you need to address the water problems such that the house protects you from weather instead of vice versa. Have an engineer assess your problem, do the gutter changes and re-grading that may be needed outside, and install french or curtain drains inside and/or outside. Drain the sump by gravity if at all possible, if not get a generator backup. My B-Dry system has allowed me to have a nice carpeted usable space down there for 10 years now, although I'm still doing some regrading and drainage work next year to finally get the last side of the house fixed for keeping the water away completely before I replace the walk and re-do landscaping on that side.
Sometimes I regard water as The Enemy around here in clay-soiled upstate New York.
Banty
On 1 Nov 2006 12:09:25 -0800, atippinfan78 snipped-for-privacy@kittymail.com wrote:

The washing machine input valve stuck open. Insurance will cover that.

And we wonder why insurance is so damn expensive and why they give you the third degree about any claim.....
Scumbag.
Banty
Hardly... You seen the skyscrapers these insurance companies reside in? The CEO salaries? The number of people left in the lurch? (Katrina: State Farm, Nationwide....) It's called "fucking back". There are more insurance industry lobbyists in Wash DC than there are Congress people. Wake up. You wanna be honest? Return the next wallet you find to the poor sucker who lost it, w/o pocketing the cash first. Stop steppin&fetchin for rip-off institutions. -- Mr. P.V.'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY Stop Corruption in Congress & Send the Ultimate Message: Absolutely Vote, for *Anyone BUT* a Democrat or a Republican Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way to Materially Improve Your Life entropic3.14decay at optonline2.718 dot net; remove pi and e to reply--ie, all d'numbuhs

Standard issue of rationalizations from scumbags. "Everyone does it" "You're dumb if ya don't" "they're just big rich companies"
Bullshit.
Scumbag.
Before you accuse people of rationalizations, you should work on your reading comprehension. None of the things you mentioned were the issue. The issue is: rich institutions that fuck the public, their own clientele, so's they become rich. When you get fucked, you have, morally at least, the right to fuck back. Similar to the right to self defense--which is a dicey right indeed, since so many people who do defend themselves wind up in jail. Not saying ripping off an insurance company will solve anything, individually. And such people could even be scumbags, sorta like people who shoplift from HD. But sheeeiit, a person w/ any piece of a working brain can sure *understand* these actions.
And the problem is that *not enough* people do it. If enough did, mebbe we'd send the right goddamm message. What did I read in a sig? Time for another Tea Party? -- Mr. P.V.'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY Stop Corruption in Congress & Send the Ultimate Message: Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican. Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way to Materially Improve Your Family's Life. entropic3.14decay at optonline2.718 dot net; remove pi and e to reply--ie, all d'numbuhs
Proctologically Violated

Creative. Not honest, but creative.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
atippinfan78 snipped-for-privacy@kittymail.com wrote:

Almost all insurance repair /salvage companies will have fans that can be set to blow under the carpet. This dries the carpet from the underside first. Most of the time the carpet is not affected by this. You should be able to rent these at a local rental company.
-Lee

It is raining outside, so taking it out is not an option. It s already been pulled up and cat into sections so I dont know how we could blow under the carpet. How many days do you think it can be wet before its a lost cause??

Nobody can know how many days. The longer you ask questions and cut bait and think about it, the worse it's going to get. Suggestion: There are cleaning companies that specialize in this sort of thing. Check the yellow pages, or call your fire department. They may have suggestions.

You think I am just sitting around asking questions??? I've been vacuuming over and over again, Sanitizing any bare spots and heating this room as much as possible. There is nothing else I can do right now, While it raining it has to stay in the basement. SO I am Asking if There is ANY thing else I can do to help the problem. If I could afford a cleaning a company I would, BUT it cost tooo Much!!! I hope it will dry soon, But I cant make it dry any faster..... Without asking for suggestions.