Wet and Dry Vac

We have an old Craftsman wet and dry vac. The last time I tried to use it there was no suction. It had plenty of air blowing out - I could have used it for a leaf blower. Does anyone know what would cause a problem like this? Thanks.
We have an old Craftsman wet and dry vac. The last time I tried to use it there was no suction. It had plenty of air blowing out - I could have used it for a leaf blower. Does anyone know what would cause a problem like this? Thanks.

It must be getting intake air from someplace or it couldn't be use as a blower.
Where don't you have suction? At the end of the hose or where the hose attaches to the unit?
Is the top fully on such that it's actually creating a vacuum inside the canister and not sucking air in around the rim?
Does it have a drain cap near the bottom? Is that screwed on tight?
Dottie wrote the following:

port, or from the top of the unit? Maybe something is stuck in the hose. Did you take the hose off and see if you get suction without it? Did you open it and look to see if the filter was clogged, or if something is blocking the suction port, like an animal's nest?.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Stormin Mormon wrote:

This is my weapon, this is my gun...

The vac is old and has a plastic body. It was sealed as tight as it usually is .... and the hose isn't plugged. That was why I was baffled by it's not working.
Dottie wrote:

There must be something in the water...
Dottie wrote:

I still have a really old one that I left water in and it rusted out around the bottom. Same result, little suction since the air was leaking in all the rust holes I simply put some silicone sealer all around the outside bottom edge. Since it's a vacuum there the silicone holds just fine. Now that I think of it, that thing is over 22 years old!
Dottie wrote:

Sounds like it ain't sealed over the can.
The big container got rusty. It's drawing air in the rust hole, instead of the flex hose.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You've made the assumption that it's a metal container. My "old" (20+?) Craftsman vac is all plastic.
On Mar 10, 5:58pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Rusty? I haven't seen a metal container in yrs, especially a wet vac.
BTW, why are the only "regular" in this group that top post.
You kill threads by doing that.
I'm lazy and slothful.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It's clogged. 90% of broken vacuums are clogged. In the suction hose.
I've had that. Take the unit outdoors with a cord. Put the hose on the outlet, and blow the hose free. Point hose in safe direction.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Good idea.
I bought 14 inch tweezers at some junk tool sale. Didnt' know what I would use them for, but they turned out to be very good for unclogging upright vacuum cleaners.
Sometimes for hoses, I've had to use broom sticks or even longer pieces of wood for. I think most wet/dry vacs have hoses like jack-in-the box bodies, that are longer but can be made shorter.

The most logical conclusion is that you have a tear in the uptake/ intake hose. If the hose were clogged it would still draw air in via the tear. If *not* torn and clogged, you would *not* have good exhaust. DerbyDad03 has other good ideas.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:58:13 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

YOu had a rougher childhood than I thought. At least you grew up to be thin.