Well Water Treatment for Low pH

I moved to a home with a well 2 1/2 years ago, my first home with a well, so managing it is all new to me.
I have colleagues and neighbors who have warned that if the pH of the well water is low (acidic) and you have copper pipes, you could develop pinhole leaks, and recommend a water softener/conditioner system to soften the water and balance the pH.
We use a filter for drinking water, and the house has a screen type of filter for large particulates.
I have mostly plastic pipes, so I don't have to worry about pinhole leaks. However, since we bought the house (it is now 10 years old), we have had to replace both sink faucets in the second upstairs bathroom. On the most recent one, the plumber said there were signs of erosion, some greenish deposits, and suggested we get his company to give an estimate for a softener/conditioner system.
I got the estimate, and the plumber who gave the estimate tested the water, and said that the pH was a little low (slightly acidic). He did say that this could lead to future failure of faucets and the water heater, as well as stains/deposits in sinks and toilets. We have had no stains or deposits ever.
The estimate is $3000 (!!).
I'm not sure what to do (invest in this softener/conditioner system, or not and hope for the best). In the meantime I will get at least one more estimate.
If I have to replace a faucet once every few years, it will be a long time before I spend the same as for this conditioner system. Also, the house is 10 years old, so even if I get such a system, it will not reverse 10 years of acidic water running through the fixtures. I may have fixtures fail anyway.
We're thinking of downsizing once our youngest starts college in 7 1/2 years, so I'd hate to make such a large investment. On the other hand, if I'm on the verge of multiple fixtures failing, that isn't good either.
Any advice?
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

I have the same concern. My well water pH runs around 6 to 6.5. House is about 35 years old and I can recall having 2 pinhole leaks fixed. The last about 8 years ago. I don't have greenish stains which would be indicative of copper and have resisted adding treatment system. I've replaced most of the faucets and water heaters only last about 7 years.
Treatment systems besides high cost, require maintenance. I balance this with occasional inconvenience of plumbing repair. I would not let the plumber panic me.
Frank

plumbing has corroded more rapidly than if pH was higher. It was just last month that I replaced the leaky water heater. It was still under warranty but service charge was about $400. You have to balance this with the outlay of $3,000 for a treatment system quoted from the op. Plus softeners add salt to the water, replacing Ca with Na and if on a low salt diet, like me, you may need to drink bottled water.
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

He's trying to screw you. You should be able to get a softener installed for a 1/3 of that; closer to 1/4 if you do it yourself (not hard). You can also rent them from Culligan for $25/month or so - more expensive than buying but no maintenance.
--

dadiOH

If you really need water treatment, talk to Gary Slusser at http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com / Get one of his custom softener systems with a Clack controller !
-Bill