Well water and softner questions

We are moving to a house that has a well as the water supply and a septic system. There is a saline water softener but no filter, unless there is one in the well that I am not aware of. I was there for the well inspection and asked the inspectors if there was a filter and they looked around in the basement where the pump and softener system is located and said there was not a filter.

I am considering adding a filter to the system. First, where in the system do I put the filter? I would imagine that it should go between the well and the saline water softener. Is there a brand name of filter that is "best"?

Also, there is an April Air whole house humidifier in the system. I didn't get the model name, but it is the type that has a lattice that looks similar to a small furnace filter that the water will cascade down to humidify the air. When I opened the cover, a whole bunch of crud fell onto the floor that looked like salt. I imagine that it is either from the salt from the softener and/or the high mineral content of the well water. Any ideas about controlling that? Also, since the crud is in the humidifier I have a suspicion that it is also in the water heater tank. Would draining the tank a few times per year be a good idea? The only reason I have been told to NOT drain the tank is that the tank's drain valve might not close.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Reply to
Rileyesi

Don't drink that shit. It might kill you.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Rileyesi,

It's not clear from your post why you want to filter your water. Is your well water dirty ( small particles )? If so a filter between the well and the softener may help. Check with a local plumber or your neighbors for filters that work on the local water. The humidifier should be cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. Softened water will leave salt in it as it evaporates. This must be removed. I believe that the " pad " (the lattice) should be replaced occasionally. Get an owner's manual for the humidifier. Water heaters are not usually drained for cleaning. Normally the drain valve is opened and the water is run out for several minutes ( or until crud stops coming out ). It is possible for the drain valve to fail while doing this but drain valve replacement is usually a cheap and easy DIY project.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Dave,

I don't know that I need one, I am just preparing for it in case we do (we are not in the house yet).

Thanks for the reply and the info.

Reply to
Rileyesi

I would put a whole house filter in front of the softener.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT