Well, pumps and the need for aspirin!

I was reading through some of the older post, hoping to find an answer to a problem I am having.. I seem to have found most of the answer in the post dated 7/6/2005 called "well cycling too fast" and a big thanks to you all for having that much info on here for me! I was wondering a few things though.. Is there some way to prevent all the water from flooding into the basement from the well as I replace the pipes? We are renovating an older home and I am having the same problem that RD had.. after replacing everything inside, including the pipes, pump, tank.. I really feel that the problem is the connection from the well to the pump.. mostly, the wall between the 2 has given me some big clues... so I will have to get in there and 'git er dun' however I worry that I may end up needing scuba gear to do it, if it starts to drain into the house as I am disconnecting and reconnecting the lines.. Clear as mud I bet... any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Tracey

Reply to
NordWulf

All _what_ water? The well is surely below basement level...

'splain what you mean--I have no clue from previous posting.
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Turn the pump off, then drain water from the lowest valve in the system untill it stops. Then use a container to catch what is left in the pipes as you disconnect them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
NordWulf

If the water level is only 1-ft below grade, how do you keep a basement dry?

Something still doesn't sound right...

I suppose you could have a situation w/ positive head in the aquifer that causes a static column to stand in the well hole, but that's about the only thing I can think of...

It still isn't clear what you need to do....

If you need to replace some line between this spring ( :) ) and the house and can not prevent water from continuing to flow, I suppose the only choice would be to put a valve in the line outside ahead of the section you wish to replace. Then you can cut the flow at that point and have only the water in the remaining line to deal with.

I suppose the other possibility is, as you suggest, seeing if you can pump the standing water down outside long enough to work on the system...

'Tis a problem I've never experienced and since I am having a really hard time envisioning both the problem to be solved and the situation, I don't have any further ideas...
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Get one of those inflatable bladder-plugs, and shove it down the well-head, and inflate it, to cork the well.

If you can't find an inflatable bladder-plug, use a beachball.

Reply to
Goedjn

Excellent idea!!! You win the McIver award this week, I will let you know how it goes!

Reply to
NordWulf

Reply to
NordWulf