Well pump problem

I found water was not coming in from my well. The well is at 160 feet, and the pump was replaced less than 3 years ago with a 3/4 HP Webtrol model.
After doing some investigation, I found 240 volts is reaching the two wires at the well head going down to the well. A current meter shows no current is being drawn, and a resistance check says the two wires are open.
The two wires go into the top plate held by 4 bolts to a casing extending about a foot out of the ground. The plate is about 6-8 inches in diameter. A PVC water pipe also goes thru the center of this plate.
I have not removed the plate, to see if there are any other connections in the two wires that might be bad. Do the two wires usually run straight from the a/c feed to the pum or are there other connections that I might examine?
I have called a well company. They will come Monday, but I would like to fix it myself if it can be fixed without pulling the pump.
PaulF
It's quite possible there is a wire break at or very near the "plate". Often wires get pinched or excessively bent at that location. If one is broken, you'll likely be able to feel it by moving the wire - there will be an extra 'flexibility' where it's broken. Kill the power to remove the plate, just in case it's a pinch. You could take a shower in sparks when you lift the plate <g>.
HTH,
PopS
[...]
Paul Ferguson wrote:

Quite likely there's another junction in the well head. It is also possible there's a break there, but unless Murphy doesn't visit you, the likelihood is the wire was pinched somewhere along the way going down or the pump motor itself has an open winding...