Well Pump Problem?

Hi, I was taking a shower this morning and suddenly the water stopped coming out. A few seconds went by then the water started up again.
Then a minute later it shut off again!
I got out and tried the sink. No water. No Hot or Cold.
A few minutes later the water was back on and stayed on.
I am at a loss.
The water pressure seemed fine until it stopped, so I didn't notice any slow down in the water before it shut off.
The well tank is new. The pump is 10 Years old.
The well pump was not running when I went down to check it. The well tank pressure was in the middle around "6" (60psi?)
I am really confused. I would suspect the tank, but the pressure seemed fine up till it went off. I would suspect the pump, but why wouldn't the tank compensate for the pump?
Could there be some other faulty valve involved? A backflow preventor failure or something?
On 30 Aug 2006 07:21:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sounds like a bad pressure switch. You should also check the bladder tank precharge since that can burn up a switch pretty fast ... along with the pump.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks, I guess I will contact the guy who replaced the tank and ask him to check it. Am I right in thinking that this doesn't really sound like the pump is the problem?
On 30 Aug 2006 10:06:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Anything is possible but I wouldn't jump on the pump first.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If this were the case, couldn't you tell very easily by noting the on/off cycle of the pump? If you turn the water on somewhere in the house, and the pump keeps turning on and off abnormally, that's a sure sign right there. Conversely, if the water runs for a while before the pump turns on, then all is probably well (pun!) with the bladder and the switch.
If you happen to have a whole-house filter, any chance your filter is clogged? I assume you don't but thought I'l toss it in.

I wonder if it is possible that the supply water valve was not fully turned back on after he installed the new unit. After the tank water was drained from the shower, the supply water not being fully turned on would try to fill the tank first......no?
The tank would eventually fill again to pressure, and testing from sink will seem normal, however sinks use much less water than shower. I would check the supply valve; make sure it is fully on.
After that, call him back in. :-)
Dean
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Was anyone else in the house at the time? Are they the mischievous type? Do they know where the water shutoff valves are and how to use them?