Well , kinda OT , kinda on

My 22" LCD monitor died , backlight problems and I'm not sure if it's a power supply problem or the CCFL's ... so I ordered an LED replacement backlight kit . When I disassembled the screen , I noticed small cracks in the bottom edge of the <acrylic ? > backlight diffuser sheet . They just happen to correspond to the dark streaks in the screen pre-death . I'm wondering if there's anything I can use on that edge to seal the cracks , thereby restoring the dark streaks to their former bright glory . Is crazy glue compatiblte with most clear plastics ? Maybe a drop of acetone or other solvent on the crack ? It seems that I've actually gotten longer-than-average life from this screen , but for around 20 bucks for the kit I figgered it was worth a shot . Worst case is I'm 20 bucks poorer and it's still dead - which is actually no biggie because my partner-in-life has agreed that a new monitor is a valid use of tax refund monies and a new one is on the way .
--
Snag
She wasn't so sure about the
On 04/20/2014 05:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I'm pretty good at fixing things and often go to great lengths to fix thing most people would toss...but if my monitor died, I'd just get a new one.
philo wrote:

Oh , I did , it's on it's way even as I type . But for 20 bucks I figger it's worth a shot to try a repair . That screen , if it works when I'm done , will be hooked to the "farm server" comp that will be set up out in my shop . And if it doesn't work , well this one I'm using on my desktop will suffice . CRT's ugh , but if that's all ya got ...
--
Snag

I have fixed several monitors with bad capacitors and/or blown output transistors. All good results. I tried to fix several with bad CCFL tubes. Much trickier. If you have disassembled the screen to the point that you have free diffuser/polarizing sheets, I think reassembly is problematic. Not sure what magic is needed but I did not possess. My guess is that sealing the cracks will only make things worse. As a spare monitor, probably somewhat useful with the streaks. But you are at the learning stage so let us know how it comes out.

Terry,
Can you purchase a replacement diffuser? If not I'd look for a glue whch will melt the crack together, Crazy Glue? Acetone?
Dave M.

There is a special glue filler made just for this
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=screen+glue
Zaky Waky wrote:

Hmm , all the glues I saw at your link were to stick a new screen in place - mostly on smart phones . I want to repair some cracks in the bottom edge of the diffuser panel . They leave lines in the display beacause the light is unevenly diffused . Not an earth-shaking event if I can't fix 'em , this monitor is probably going to live out in my shop on a server/storage box .
--
Snag

Bob F wrote:

No thrift stores up here , but a LOT of "flea market" type shops for the tourist trade . Can't say I've ever seen anything computer-related ... lotta worn-out horseshoes and rusty block planes though ! This is a small town , and the nearest "big city" is , well , also a small town . Population in Stone County is around 13,000 , mostly in small scattered farming communities . And some of us just live out in the woods , not in a town .
--
Snag
Oh , and I ordered an LED backlight kit for that monitor

CRTs are fine if you don't have to move them. Mine are sitting where they are until they die, except for the one on the floor which will replace the one that dies, until it dies. I used to get them free.
The only problem now is that they are not wide, and this was getting to be a problem until google.com moved its options from the right, at-first-invisible side of the screen back to the right side of the left 2/3rds. So that's not a problem anymore.
Right now I'm using a visonics thin screen monitor, square, that a neighbor threw in the trash, I don't know why.
And someone just gave me another square one that IS broken, but might just need replacement caps, a guy at a hamfest said. There was a period a few years ago when a lot of bad caps were sold to manufacturers, but you can usually tell them because they're swollen upwards and the top, which is scored in 3 sectors to begin with, is breaking open where it's scored. This one says nothing when I turn it on for the first 10 seconds it's plugged in. Then it says "no signal" for the next minute, and after that it says nothing and a faint white line appears at the top.
On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:41:12 -1000, "John Keiser"

I tend to think you can't make cracks disappear either. Certainly not with glue inc. crazy glue, but maybe with a solvent like acetone. I don't know how thick the plastic is but one small drop every inch or half inch, for 1/8", more if it's thick.

yes indeed.
micky wrote:

Mine just went dark one day . The light at the bottom still goes to green when there's input , so I'm pretty sure the control board is OK . Got an LED replacement backlight kit coming .
--
Snag

Yeah, I red earlier. Good luck. Let us know.

Me Green now. (-:
--
Bobby G.