Well , kinda OT , kinda on

My 22" LCD monitor died , backlight problems and I'm not sure if it's a power supply problem or the CCFL's ... so I ordered an LED replacement backlight kit . When I disassembled the screen , I noticed small cracks in the bottom edge of the backlight diffuser sheet . They just happen to correspond to the dark streaks in the screen pre-death . I'm wondering if there's anything I can use on that edge to seal the cracks , thereby restoring the dark streaks to their former bright glory . Is crazy glue compatiblte with most clear plastics ? Maybe a drop of acetone or other solvent on the crack ? It seems that I've actually gotten longer-than-average life from this screen , but for around 20 bucks for the kit I figgered it was worth a shot . Worst case is I'm 20 bucks poorer and it's still dead - which is actually no biggie because my partner-in-life has agreed that a new monitor is a valid use of tax refund monies and a new one is on the way .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm pretty good at fixing things and often go to great lengths to fix thing most people would toss...but if my monitor died, I'd just get a new one.

Reply to
philo

Oh , I did , it's on it's way even as I type . But for 20 bucks I figger it's worth a shot to try a repair . That screen , if it works when I'm done , will be hooked to the "farm server" comp that will be set up out in my shop . And if it doesn't work , well this one I'm using on my desktop will suffice . CRT's ugh , but if that's all ya got ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Reply to
John Keiser

Terry,

Can you purchase a replacement diffuser? If not I'd look for a glue whch will melt the crack together, Crazy Glue? Acetone?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

"Terry Coombs" wrote in news:ifY4v.133044$ snipped-for-privacy@fx23.iad:

There is a special glue filler made just for this

Reply to
Zaky Waky

Hmm , all the glues I saw at your link were to stick a new screen in place - mostly on smart phones . I want to repair some cracks in the bottom edge of the diffuser panel . They leave lines in the display beacause the light is unevenly diffused . Not an earth-shaking event if I can't fix 'em , this monitor is probably going to live out in my shop on a server/storage box .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

No thrift stores up here , but a LOT of "flea market" type shops for the tourist trade . Can't say I've ever seen anything computer-related ... lotta worn-out horseshoes and rusty block planes though ! This is a small town , and the nearest "big city" is , well , also a small town . Population in Stone County is around 13,000 , mostly in small scattered farming communities . And some of us just live out in the woods , not in a town .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

CRTs are fine if you don't have to move them. Mine are sitting where they are until they die, except for the one on the floor which will replace the one that dies, until it dies. I used to get them free.

The only problem now is that they are not wide, and this was getting to be a problem until google.com moved its options from the right, at-first-invisible side of the screen back to the right side of the left

2/3rds. So that's not a problem anymore.

Right now I'm using a visonics thin screen monitor, square, that a neighbor threw in the trash, I don't know why.

And someone just gave me another square one that IS broken, but might just need replacement caps, a guy at a hamfest said. There was a period a few years ago when a lot of bad caps were sold to manufacturers, but you can usually tell them because they're swollen upwards and the top, which is scored in 3 sectors to begin with, is breaking open where it's scored. This one says nothing when I turn it on for the first 10 seconds it's plugged in. Then it says "no signal" for the next minute, and after that it says nothing and a faint white line appears at the top.

Reply to
micky

I tend to think you can't make cracks disappear either. Certainly not with glue inc. crazy glue, but maybe with a solvent like acetone. I don't know how thick the plastic is but one small drop every inch or half inch, for 1/8", more if it's thick.

yes indeed.

Reply to
micky

Mine just went dark one day . The light at the bottom still goes to green when there's input , so I'm pretty sure the control board is OK . Got an LED replacement backlight kit coming .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yeah, I red earlier. Good luck. Let us know.

Reply to
micky

Me Green now. (-:

Reply to