Welding stainless steel to galvanized pipe ?

This question relates to building a custom made antenna mount for a Jeep or an atv.

Question-- can stainless steel be welded to a piece of galvanized pipe ?

Thanks !!

James

Reply to
James

If you plan to weld galvanized metal, wait until you finish welding yourself a coffin. Galv metal is highly toxic when welded and you will die from the fumes. But you wont be the first, hundreds of thousands of men lie 6 feet under because of this. Breathe these fumes for about 30 seconds and say goodbye. Except you wont have time to say that word. You'll just drop dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
metalfabrication

I guess I am dead then. Multiple times over. I have breathed the fumes, I have gotten sick. Now I drink milk before welding or burning it and I don't have any problems.

We used to call it Fume Fever. It is actually called Metal Fume Fever and it is rarely fatal.

And you call yourself a metal fabricator! How many chemical plants have you built?

Reply to
Robert Allison

The fumes from welding galvanized are toxic, but not that toxic.

At a minimum, do it outdoors with the wind or better a fan blowing on your back to blow the fumes away from you.

Reply to
jimp