Welding is very dangerous

Page 1 of 3

Especially when a hot piece of metal goes down your pants and lands right on your dick. Yes, this happened, and it was extremely painful.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 14, 5:19 am, snipped-for-privacy@email.com wrote:

One more reason to Keep it in your pants. Ive always thought those guys that wear baggy pants that fall below their asses would have problems welding.
Add pictures here
✖

✖

Yeah, I know. What I don't know is if he still lives in Arizona, and if Arizona is one of the twenty-something states that doesn't allow felons to vote.
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
✖

convoluted law about this where you can apparently vote after one conviction as long as you have paid restitution and court costs assessed. After two you can't unless okay from a judge. ACLU is on the case if any is interested.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:14:03 -0700, Gunner Asch

Aw, c'mon Gunner- that's only 2 states. ME & VT.
Cool chart here- http://felonvoting.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID (6 [only 14 states restrict past felons from voting]
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@email.com wrote:

Must have been a shot in a million.
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are you saying the target was small? :) RR
Add pictures here
✖
Snip off the finger from an oven mitt!
RF
Add pictures here
✖
Rob Fraser wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

All I know is that they don't protect your buttocks.
Add pictures here
✖

That's what you get for welding behind your back. You'll do better if you face the work. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
✖
Randy Replogle wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

and T shirt. Sensitive spots to radiation are biceps just on the inside and the V neck opening of T shirt. But a new spot subject to burns: The inside of both knees where I forgot just how hot the end of the rod was still. It took two burns to get it thru my head. Decided to use long sleeves which stopped the radiation burns but when welded item slipped on the bench, I grabbed with my left hand which was holding the rod and guess where the hot end of the rod went? I quit stick welding because the hot sparks managed to bounce off the floor and enter the tops of my shoes and create an entertaining dance (to others). I quit gas welding because when finished with a bead you have to be real careful where the flaming torch is pointed. Yes dear heart, welding can be dangerous (and entertaining to observers). Another thing learned the hot spot doesn't cool off any faster if you even use some very creative cussing.
Add pictures here
✖

You want to wear a long-sleeve shirt and long pants, and leather boots. I work with my shirt untucked (no way for something to tuck itself in behind my pants waistband, and my pant legs over the boots.
Wear natural materials -- I just wear cotton (ie jeans cloth) jeans and shirt, though leather is better. Plastic melts.
Add pictures here
✖

Polyester is plastic, and melts.
Same for nylon.
Cotton does not melt - it only carbonizes or burns.
Molten metal has a low rate of sticking to anything except metal or meltable plastic ("thermoplastic"). Molten plastic sticks to most things.
Cuffs on 100% cotton denim blue jeans have main hazard being catching a drop of very hot molten metal that sets your pants on fire. Better to lack cuffs. Slightly better to have your (non-meltable) shirt untucked so that if a drop of molten metal hits your shirt, it can't stop on your person at the beltline.
I have only dabbled in welding and I braze and torch-solder only casually, though I know what carburizing/reducing and oxidizing flames are, and this much I know!
Now for another thing to worry about - drops of molten metal igniting things, or starting little smouldering hangfires that (rarely enough to make you "not be sufficiently vigilant") wait several minutes or hours to become a more overt fire!
✖

Well I have to agree with stu.pid, based on the number of mistakes I've made in my life but slow learner and uncoordinated? I recently checked myself out in an ultralight helicopter where you can't get instruction just strap it on and find out how it flies and that does take some learning and coordination that must be acquired in less than 2 seconds. Also recently did the first flight on a newly finished experimental helicopter. Again coordination skills are paramount. Oh did I say that I played professional guitar for awhile? No there seems to be some evidence that uncoordinated and slow learning might not be true. Careless is probably a better charge on the obtaining proper protection for welding. It was 100 degrees in the shop and I didn't want to put more clothes on for just the short bead that turned into a longer job.
Add pictures here
✖

Sorry Stuart..I though you were the other guy I call Stu..pid, the leftwing moron who bleeds and blusters as his masters in the DNC programmed him to do.
Blink blink...it was late and I was tired. Mea Culpa
You for SURE are not stupid nor uncoordinated! Ive been up close and personal to those nifty sky gokarts you push around in the air..and having had a bit of rotor time myself...know full well that to fly one, requires one to stand on a basketball, patting the top of ones head while rubbing ones tummy.
And besides..I like you, unlike Stu..pid.
Gunner, apologizing for his mistaken identity issue.
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/15/2008 10:30 AM Gunner Asch spake thus:

A fetus is not a baby, you nimrod.
✖
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:46:27 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Sure it is.
Are you claiming that a baby isnt a human, because its not 6', 214 lbs and can punch your jaw sideways?
Gunner