Weird toggle switch

Page 2 of 2
Was alcohol, marijuana, or toggle switches involved?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/15/2010 7:08 PM, HeyBub wrote:

If yer gonna steal from Steven Wright, at least credit him.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

I don't remember the homeowner's name, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Steven Wright.

Now we're stealing from "Galaxy Quest" satirizing "Star Trek"!

Sounds like the switch is failing - not unusual for cheaply made switches in corrosion-prone areas like a bathroom. I predict it will work for a while longer and then fail, perhaps on, perhaps off, and maybe with a little sputtering. I find that clamp lamps with a rotating knob switch to fail in much the same way. Heat, moisture and age are all factors.
It's not very likely to be a hidden three-way switch because it's in a bathroom. I don't think I've ever seen a three-way switch in a bathroom - ever. Nor is it likely to be gremlins rotating it 180 degrees just to mess with you.
When you hear hoofbeats, think horses and not zebras. The most likely explanation is just typical cheap manufacturing coupled with a harsh environment.
-- Bobby G.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:58:05 -0400, "Robert Green"

I've seen LOTs of 3 way switches in bathrooms. Mostly in on-suites - but any bathroom with 2 doors.
I think it's unlikely to have a three way toggle switch on the side of a 25 year old medicine chest. My vote is mechanical failure within the switch. And that the switch is soon to fail.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You are likely correct, with it being a light duty bat handle switch (round or "D" hole mount)

in
while
in
bathroom -

mess
Well, I've never seen a bathroom with two doors, either. No, wait, that's not true. Only in college dormitories with shared bathrooms - but that's certainly not a typical residential environment. (-:
It's still most likely to be a bad switch given its location (wet bathroom on the side of the medicine cabinet) and the symptoms the OP described. A switch like that may not be well-sealed and after years of operation with damp fingers crud may have made its way into the switch internals.
I'd be even more certain of a bad switch if the load was more than 25W - the closer the switch is to something hot, the greater the chance for failure. When I used to use 300W photofloods in the studio, the cheaper lamp holder switches would fail with regularity - which is why I think it's a bad switch from what the OP described. Obviously the greater the current, the greater the potential for corrosion and material failure.
I'll bet the "feel" of the switch has changed. Whenever I've had a toggle switch begin to enter a failure mode, the switch feels "sticky" or "mushy" and doesn't have the right "snap" to it.
-- Bobby G.

I have a master bathroom with two doors and a 3 way switch. A friend of mine has one with three doors, in his new house. It's not that unusual in newer, larger, homes. 3 way switches in larger bathrooms are even more common.
In the OP case, his toggle switch is molded into the medicine chest and miror. I'd think those three ways would be on the wall.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

re: "Well, I've never seen a bathroom with two doors, either. No, wait, that's not true. Only in college dormitories with shared bathrooms - but that's certainly not a typical residential environment."
They are not all that uncommon.
Here are just a couple of the plans found via a Google search:
http://math.berkeley.edu/~whitney/ouroldhouse/images/bathplanbefore.gif
http://www.travelswithtrouble.com/projects/BathroomPlans/images/clawfoot_with_2_sinks_v_3.jpg
-snip-

Pretty common actually in the big old barns of houses built in the early 20th century in NY. And even more common in the older houses that converted 'walk-in hall closets' to bathrooms.
Jim
On 10/17/2010 7:40 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Dirt-common late 60s to at least late 70s, for the kid bedroom wing. Hall door, and a door to the BR on each side. The lower-on-the-food-chain kids actually had to walk across the hall to go pee.
Given the obvious problems with kids of opposite genders once puberty hits, the practice may have died out, and they only do hall doors now.
--
aem sends...

No, "Jack-n-Jill" bathrooms (shared bathroom between bedrooms) are quite common now.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:58:05 -0400, Robert Green wrote:
[snip]

I have, in a bathroom with 2 doors and a switch by each door.
[snip]
--
69 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).