Weird toggle switch

Page 1 of 2
I have a switch in bathroom that lights up my 25w florescent bulb. For years I've used the up toggle switch to turn it on and down to turn it off. Now, for the past week or so, its doing the reverse. It won't turn on unless it turn it down. Is this possible? Its really complicated to get at the switch cause its embedded into a large medicine chest, and an old one at that...came with the house.

Sounds like you have a 3-way switch. Is there another switch somewhere that controls the light? Maybe inside the medicine cabinet. Look at your switch. Does it say "on" or "off" on it? If you don't, most likely its a 3 way switch.

It sounds like someone flipped a 3-way switch someplace else in the house and didn't notice it.
Think back...do you recall walking into the bathroom and saying "Who left the damn light on?"
If so, then someone turned it on with the other 3 way switch and didn't realize it. Find that switch, switch it the other way and you'll be back to your usual up-down operation - until the next time somebody toggles the other switch.

Possible it's a 3way, but doesn't sound very likely, since he says the switch is part of the medicine cabinet. On the other hand, the only other explanation I can think of is if it's one of the toggle switches that fits into a round hole in the medicine cabinet, maybe someone rotated the switch around 180degs.

either that, or someone's a practical joker in the family.
i once (back in the days of dumb crt terminals) cracked the case open, turned the crt display tube upside down, closed it up, and placed it back on a cow-orkers desk.
Smitty Two wrote:

you were hiding behind the filing cabinet? duh, to say that i didn't turn the crt upside down is pretty stupid unless you were. and you weren't. considering that 2 others in my office were there when i did this, you look pretty stupid making that statement.
fyi, it was a televideo 955
https://www.str-s.com/televideo-model-serial-terminal-tvi955-13213500-p-831.html?name=Televideo+Model+955+Serial+Terminal+TVI-955+132135-00
and was pretty easy to turn upside down and put back together because there was lots of space inside to do so.
chaniarts wrote:

https://www.str-s.com/televideo-model-serial-terminal-tvi955-13213500-p-831.html?name=Televideo+Model+955+Serial+Terminal+TVI-955+132135-00
He may have just turned the CRT upside down with the yoke attached to it. That would have inverted the image just fine.
Nowadays it's easier to just use a prank software program like this one:
http://www.rjlpranks.com/pranks/rotate /
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Most anode are attached to the top off the tube...if turned USD the wire would be more than enough!
Bob-tx wrote:

it's simply amazing the number of internet people who were there looking over my shoulder saying that i didn't do what i actually did some 20 years ago.
there was (just) enough slack in all the wires to do this. i must have 25 of these terminals on racks down the hall, if any of you experts would like to come see how to do this.

You didn't do it!
Even if you showed us how you did it by doing it again on the exact same model monitor, you still didn't do it.
We've made up our minds - don't try to convince us by using facts, details or even live demonstrations.
So there.
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:22:39 -0700, Smitty Two

The problem with that is if the youke mofes forward or backwards at all while rotating, the whole calibration goes off and it is not a really simple matter to get everything back in focus. In those steel-cased monitors, flipping the whole CRT was dead simple.
One I remember it was a case of loosening a big worm clamp (like a rad hose clamp) pulling the tube back, flipping it and retightening the clamp. Including removing and replacing the case, about 3 minutes worth of work.
On Oct 19, 12:27pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The "worst" thing we ever did was this:
Way back when, I was installing hundreds of TRS-80 units for my company. It was my Department Head's turn to get one - a guy about 4 levels above me. He had been waiting a long time for his machine and we had arranged our schedules so he could be there when I set it up for him.
After testing each unit in the shop, we put them back in big box they came in and basically unpacked them in front of the "customer".
We happened to have a unit in the shop that had fallen off of the workbench and was all smashed up. My boss had me take that unit, pull some wires out so they stuck out of the case, apply some duct tape to some of the cracks, and make the unit look as beat up as possible. The monitor was cracked and the frame was bent, so it wasn't that hard to make it look pretty bad.
We then packed it into a new box and I brought it to my DH's office, with my boss waiting in the hallway. The DH had cleared a spot on his desk and was clearly excited about getting his first "computer". I opened the box in the DH's office, removed the top piece of packing foam and exclaimed "Holy Sh*t! What happen to this machine!" My partner and I reached into the box, lifted it out and put it on the DH's desk.
The DH took one look at the unit and almost crapped his pants. He was pissed!
That's when my boss came in through the door laughing so hard he could hardly talk.
The DH finally got the joke and we all had a good laugh.
That's when we brought in the good machine from out in the hallway.

If it were a 3-way, it would NOT have the ON & OFF molded into it.
http://inspectbeforebuying.com/HRC/Outletsandswitches_files/image002.gif

umm...did I imply that it did or did you reply to the wrong post?

Was meant for OP to "Lemme go look and see if it has ON/OFF markings." No sense starting a 3-way hunt if it has them.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 05:55:00 -0700 (PDT), Boothbay

Sounds like you have a 3way switch and someone accidentally found and flipped the one at the other end.
Boothbay wrote:

Somebody reversed your hot and neutral. Look outside around the circuit breaker box for tampering, foot-prints, etc. Can you fashion a rudimentary lathe?
HeyBub wrote:

That won't change switch behavior of when contacts open/closed...all it would do would be to break on neutral side of circuit instead of hot side.
If it hasn't been geometrically changed in orientation, the only alternative is that somehow the mechanical internals have worn to the point they're somehow operating backwards of before...
I'd suggest as someone else that a new switch is in your future sooner as opposed to later.
dpb wrote:

Well maybe the ground and neutral was reversed. Or the bulb has a left-hand thread.
I know: the fixture is upside-down!
HeyBub wrote:

You may laugh, but when I was a cop I made a call where a person or persons unknown broke into the complainant's house and replaced ALL his furniture with other furniture that looked exactly like his original furniture!
To this day, the episode remains a whodunit!