Weird thing about roof material price quotes:

Yes, if the snow completely covers the ridge vent, it obviously can't do its job till the snow is clear enough to allow ventilation. The old timers had the right idea with cupolas if they used them for venting in the winter.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

I watched a similar drama unfolding at the return desk at Home Depot yesterday--a rather dusty and malfunctioning nailer, a nice clean box, and a receipt from two days ago. The authorities were attempting to check serial numbers when I left.

Reply to
BBB

I built a new house last year and had a continuous ridge vent installed. I went up into the attic when it was about 50º out and it was about 90º up there. The ridge vent doesn't seem to allow enough air flow. I will install louvers on the gable ends this summer.

Reply to
JerryD(upstateNY)

How much soffit venting? I've seen plenty of places that had a ridge vent, but pathetic or nonexistant soffit venting. In order for the heated air to go out, it has to be replaced, since it isn't going to pull a vacuum.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

The soffit is 12" wide, continuously vented vinyl. The house is 40' long, so it has 80' of vented soffit and 40' of ridge vent.

Reply to
JerryD(upstateNY)

Both ventilation systems rely on moving air (wind) to function. In a ridge vent, the wind blowing over the top of the roof creates a negative pressure vortex on the leeward side which sucks air out of the attic, replaced by cooler air from the soffit vent. The air travels up the rafter bays and keeps the roof deck cold. Gable vents rely on cross ventilation to work, (although they do exhaust hotter air into the cooler outside air in the general area near the vent) but if the air is not moving (in one vent and out the other across the attic) then they too will be ineffectual (but better than nothing). Keep in mind that if you cut in gable vents they will negate the ridge vent's functioning. The ridge vent will suck air from the gables rather than the soffit. The ugly truth is that despite all the thought and effort put into roofing systems over the years, which has significantly improved upon the old system, mother nature still looks upon puny humans as pathetic jokes. If the conditions are right (the perfect storm) you will get ice dams regardless of all your careful planning. The idea here is to minimize their occurrence and effect.

Reply to
BP

Wouldn't natural convection keep the air moving regardless of how the wind is blowing?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Wait a minute bub... I never lied. I discovered the "discount" by accident when I ordered over the phone by item #, when I asked to confirm the price, to my surprise it was bout 30% less than when I first called, and had sounded like a neophite. What was I to do at that point? say, "no wait, you should be charging more"? I caught on to their game, and played it. It is clear that who gets teh discount, and who doesn't is based on an informal arrangement, don't fault me for fitting in with the old boys, and getting a good price. If the store wished to, they could have some sort of card, or something that woudl identify me as a contractor. They don't, so don't blame me. Also, I never say anything about being a contractor, and if I were asked I would say I was not, but they assume I am, and freely offer the discount. Why should I turn it down? (BTW, I assume more of a "contractor's errand boy" type deamour, not actually trying to be a "contractor". I come in friendly, talking about the weather, tar stained clothes, they assume I am "on the job".) I

What are you talking about? I am just a homeowner who gave up 2 weeks of my vacation time, and many hours reading, even attending a class at the community center on how to do a roof, and did my own roof. I hold no ill-will against you or any honest contractor, but I was able to do it myself, why shouldn't I?

No, I am actually a media executive, and sit behind a desk all week doing my job, just like all the rest of this land's working stiffs. I just choose to spend my hard earned money as wisely as possible, and got some pride out of doing my own roof. You need to chill out Robert.

Reply to
Rotation Slim

It could be that the discount is not for contractors, the discount is for people who know the item numbers and all the details of their order, and don't require "customer service". When you called and asked a lot of questions, and needed to be educated about what you needed and how to place an order, you got one price. When you called and "were in a hurry", had all your info ready to go, and were able to place your order in a professional manner, you got a different price. Seems straightforward to me.

You see this in a lot of businesses. For instance, go to an automobile dealer, ask lots of questions about different models, ask for a test drive, ask more questions about financing, ask questions about options, test drive a different model, and see what price you get.

Now, fax a dealer and give them the model and all the options listed by item number, so all they have to do is type the order in for you, and see what price you get.

(Better yet, tell them what price you want ($200 over wholesale), and say, "Will you type in the order for me?" $200 to type in an order isn't bad.)

Personally, I think it's un-ethical to go to one dealer and get all the customer service, and then place your order at another dealer to get a better price. But many people do it. Just like many people will go to a "real" hardware store to ask questions about what they are trying to do, and then buy the materials at a big-box or on the web.

--- Chip

Reply to
Charles H. Buchholtz

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote: snip

One of the

What is the Policy? Ask him what Home Depot does with those used returns. Answer: In some cases they return them to the shelf to sell at full price. Example, a toilet returned after being installed complete with smashed wax ring in place. A sewer line auger already used and retracted into its holder. A piece of trim molding with the nails still in it. Those are just a few I have stumbled upon myself. I have not seen any used paint sprayers but that would not be a surprise.

In the case of the toilet, the box was open and I wanted to measure it to see what size lids fit it. I discovered its condition and brought it to the attention of one of their "floor walkers" who said, "Isn't it nice that HD has the policy of taking things back if the user is dissatisfied!" She then took no further action far as I could see, so it is waiting on some innocent victim to buy it and probably bring it back for a repeat.

On the other hand, I was looking for a new entry threshold complete with the rubber insert. Every one they had of the size I needed had been opened and the insert was missing. Stolen by the homeowners? Conclusion: Check to see that what you are buying is not used and has all the parts.

Stoney

Reply to
Stoney

Would you want someone to do it to you?

Reply to
BP

Well, I think a 30% difference in price is WAY too much to charge for taking 5 minutes to help someone order the right product.

I get very good prices because I won't buy until I get a good price. To me a good price is from invoice up to maybe $500 over invoice. With all of the "under the table money" these days, the dealer's still make a good profit even when they sell at "dealer cost."

I'd probably pay more this way.

I agree and this is roughly how I buy cars.

I agree again. This is a real scumbag approach in my book.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

I have the same problem with delta! I think they suck!

Reply to
Trai' La Trash.

The fact that it is a strange answer to you indicates that you are either a life long employee or a sociopath. Self employed people in any field (who are not also sociopaths) generally "get" this on the first shot because it happens to everyone eventually. This is not shopping for the best price like you would do in a supermarket or electronics store. Read the quote again. "go to one [full service] dealer and get all the customer service". This is taking up someone else's time, time they are hoping to be paid for. Time their boss has factored into the price of the product. Then you walk out with that work under your arm and bring it to their warehouse ethic competition. This is an issue similar to "intellectual copyright". If you buy bootleg software you are doing the same thing. "When the revolution comes - everything will be free" (1970's joke).

Reply to
BP

Unethical?.....Geez BUSINESS is unethical! Case in point: Enron, Worldcom. SBC, Martha Stewart, Tyco.............

Reply to
PT Baker

You are comparing apples and oranges. Shopping for the best price is not being a scumbag. Going to the supplier who has higher prices but more knowledge and asking them all sorts of questions *knowing* that you are going to buy from the cheaper supplier who cannot answer any of those questions... that's what's scummy.

Reply to
Tracy

What was I smoking? I meant Moen. I replace the cart and washers in my kitchen and 3 months later it leaks. "buy it for looks buy it for life" I should write them and have them send me a new one!

Reply to
Trai' La Trash.

Yes, I can see why it might be a little bit over your head.

Reply to
Tracy