Weird plumbing problem

I have a 5-yr-old house with an odd plumbing problem. What happens is that if I or my wife runs the water in the sink in the upstairs bathroom, air gurgles up through the toilet. And it seems to be just air, there's no odor to it. Nothing happens when we run the shower.
At the same time, we sometimes have weird problems with the upstairs toilets (there's one other bathroom upstairs). For no apparent reason they'll both get plugged up at once.
I tried using Drano on both upstairs bathrooms but it didn't seem to help. Anything else I should be doing?

Talk to the contractor who installed the pipes :-). Sounds like the sink wasn't vented properly or perhaps it was--get up on the roof and check out the pipes (look for squirrels, birds, tennis balls, Santa Claus, etc.)
Just my CDN$0.02.
There is a blockage deep down the line. You will either need a long snake or a plumber with a long snake. I would go with the latter.

one thing you should be doing is NOT using drano

R.H. wrote:

As noted, you likely have a blocked vent or drain (likely outside your home).
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit