Weird new faucet problem

95+ year old house and I decided to get a new kitchen wall-mount faucet. The one I had only had a 5.5" reach spout. So, I look all over and finally find one I figure is OK for me. A store close by sells me a Pasco commercial medium duty wall-mount with a 10" spout, which is what I figured might be about right for my sink and me. $58 bucks or so out the door.

I install it a couple of days ago and made a mistake, but I may have gotten away with it. I removed the adjustable brass fittings that the old faucet was attached to and put on the new ones that came with the Pasco. The reason it was a mistake is that the pipes coming out from the wall tiles are so old that they crumbled somewhat in taking off the old fittings. I wasn't at all sure I could put on the new ones and not have a leak. However, I don't detect any leaking... yet. If I had it to do again, I would have left the old fittings on there and attached the new faucet to THEM. The old ones don't look THAT bad. I really don't want to get into replacing tile, and I figured that would have to happen if I replace the water piping coming out of the wall.

The faucet worked fine for a couple of days and then this morning I noticed that the pressure on the cold was reduced. In a matter of seconds it was reduced to zero. No flow.

The water main was replaced in January, which was old and crumbling, but the short distance of pipe from where the new main enters the house and goes to the kitchen sink (maybe 8-10 feet), is still old galvanized pipe. I figured that something had sluffed off from the pipe and was blocking the cold water.

So, I turned off the water main, removed the cold valve on the new faucet. It looked OK. I then turned on the water main, what I figured was not much more than a trickle, to blow out whatever was blocking the flow. I turned the water off again at the shut-off, and came back into the kitchen. Water all over, but no catastrophe. There was water on the ceiling... I'd opened the main too much. Anyway, I put the valve stem back in, turn on the water again and all was fine... for a few hours. This afternoon, again the cold flow was slow and in a matter of seconds, nothing!

I turn off the shut-off again, remove the stem, get a slower flow going in the shut-off, come back and put the stem in and still no water from the cold. The hot is fine, evidently. Sometimes when I turn the cold on, water flows for 1/100 second and then, wham! It hammers shut, no water.

I figure maybe, just maybe something is stuck between the cold water valve and the join, where the hot and cold mix, just before going into the spout. Is that what's causing this? If so, how can I expel whatever's in there? This just seems so weird. I've never experienced anything like this. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? Thanks for any help.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

If your assumption is correct and there is a piece of crud in the section between the cold valve on your new faucet and the place where the water enters the spout, Then....

How about shutting off the main supply again, removing the cold stem once more, and forcing some compressed air or water into the end of the spout via whatever means you can? That should push anything in that path back out the valve stem opening, huh?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

just for drill take the strainer off the end of the faucett and see if it isn't blocked with crud

Reply to
beecrofter

Interesting "crud" that would be hot-water side selective going through the strainer...

Is this a cartridge-style faucet? To prove the problem is in the cartridge if so, swap hot and cold and see if the problem follows -- if so, I'd ask for replacement cartridge under new product warranty...

--

Reply to
dpb

:If your assumption is correct and there is a piece of crud in the :section between the cold valve on your new faucet and the place where :the water enters the spout, Then.... : :How about shutting off the main supply again, removing the cold stem :once more, and forcing some compressed air or water into the end of the :spout via whatever means you can? That should push anything in that path :back out the valve stem opening, huh? : :Jeff

I removed the cold stem and the spout and blowing into the spout hole I could readily tell that there was no kind of stoppage between that hold the the cold stem... water passed quite freely. I was flumoxed. I soon realized that the problem was caused by the washer not being held down firmly by the reverse-thread screw. The screw had backed off, somehow. I screwed it back in, not too tight... and reassembled everything and the faucet was again working fine.

Next morning, the same syndrome occurred! First, the handle had to be turned more than usual to initiate flow, then the flow started having less than usual pressure. The pressure soon diminished with repeated turnings of the handle until there was no flow! Of course, I realized that the screw had backed off again. I've never experienced this before. So, I reassembled, this time putting a pretty good amount of tightness on the screw.

Looking at the screw's threads, I see a bluish compound on them, probably some kind of loctite. If the problem persists, I'll contemplate using some grade of loctite (or similar) to keep the screw from coming loose!

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

You're not the first person that's happened to Dan. Happy you found it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia