Weird idea

Page 2 of 2

HeyBub wrote:

That is an extreme length for ducting a dryer.
As for easier to work with? I see very little difference between the galv. metal and pvc. One needs a hacksaw to cut it with the other tinsnips. One uses glue, the other just slips together. Haven't checked prices recently but at a guess I suspect galv would be cheaper.
As for the 'combustibility' warnings. I don't think it would really be in play minus a real fire to begin with. There is softening with heat though.
Harry K
28' is not extreme. According to the chart at http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml some models allow 60 or more feet.
--
Steve Barker

"Harry K" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
PVC Ducting
While PVC tubing looks like it would be ideal for dryer venting being rigid and perfectly smooth, numerous technicians report that some sort of static effect seems to take place during use which causes lint to adhere to it, eventually leading to blockages. It may be best to avoid this material for this application if you can use rigid metal ducting instead
HeyBub wrote:

A potential problem is that the PVC pipe will not heat up enough to evaporate water that causes lint to cling to the pipe. Lint buildup would be a major concern.
Bob wrote:

Good point. So one should insulate the dryer vent pipe, irrespective of the pipe's composition.
Hmm. If you do that, who's to know what's under the insulation?
Insulating the vent pipe would make the technique of de-linting using a propane torch easier too.
Thanks for the suggestion.
| Any reason one can't use 4" PVC sewer pipe for dryer exhaust piping?
it is illegal reason enough
| | I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally about 20' | to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the sewer pipe (not the | kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.
this is too long of a run for a dryer vent
| | Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new roof, I | didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm endeavoring to | correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going to be easier than | dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.
soffit vents for dryers suck the lint gets all over the house and sometimes come in the house through an open window.
| | Suggestions welcome.
use metal 4 inch ducting with the least amount of elbows and no flexible ducting.
| | |

For what it's worth, Harvel Plastics makes a CPVC duct, but I don't think it comes as small as 4" ID.
most recent requirements i find are for metal. also they limit the length of it to less than you suggest. allow for easy lint cleanouts.