Weird idea

it is illegal reason enough

| | I've got to go UP 8 feet (which will be metal), then horizontally about 20' | to get to a soffit. For the 20' run I'm considering the sewer pipe (not the | kind with holes) because it's easier to work with.

this is too long of a run for a dryer vent

| | Goblin roofers didn't replace the roof vent when they put in a new roof, I | didn't notice their failure for a LONG time, and now I'm endeavoring to | correct the problem. I figure a soffit vent is going to be easier than | dealing with a retrofitted roof vent.

soffit vents for dryers suck the lint gets all over the house and sometimes come in the house through an open window.

| | Suggestions welcome.

use metal 4 inch ducting with the least amount of elbows and no flexible ducting.

| | |

Reply to
Rick

try this link

| | snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: | > I was really afraid of fire from that cheap white plastic durable | > flexible easy to use vent pipe thats no longer on the market because of | > fire risks. | >

| > a friend replced his with the new junk foil type. | >

| > i brought his old line home it was in his trash and tried setting it on | > fire on the driveway. | >

| > it wouldnt burn. at most it might support combustion barely. | >

| > even with direct ignition from my mapp gas torch it wouldnt go on fire | > just smolder and go out immediately when torch was removed. | >

| > personally i think it was safe.

personally I think you are a dumbass for giving lousy advice. ever hear of static electricity igniting lint trapped in the plastic or flexible ducting. I have seen it burn down many rooms and/or houses in the last 25 years or so.

| > kinda disappointed me with fire hose at ready nothing to put out:(

be careful with that hose out in public. your picture could end up at the post office with all the other sex offenders.

Reply to
Rick

most recent requirements i find are for metal. also they limit the length of it to less than you suggest. allow for easy lint cleanouts.

HeyBub wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

Good point. So one should insulate the dryer vent pipe, irrespective of the pipe's composition.

Hmm. If you do that, who's to know what's under the insulation?

Insulating the vent pipe would make the technique of de-linting using a propane torch easier too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
HeyBub

Bull! Static electricity causing lint to ignite is in the same category as static electricity causing fires in home workshops and cellphones starting gasoline pump fires.

No you haven't, Fires (small numbers) are cause by the build up of lint in clothes dryers and exhaust lines, but they were not ignited by static electricity.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

| > personally I think you are a dumbass for giving lousy advice. | > ever hear of static electricity igniting lint trapped in the plastic or | > flexible ducting. | | Bull! Static electricity causing lint to ignite is | in the same category as static electricity | causing fires in home workshops and cellphones | starting gasoline pump fires.

yes it does and yes I have seen it burn down many homes over the years. also have seen vacuum systems with plastic pipes ignite. the only way to stop static electricity from igniting in plastc pipes is to install a bare copper wire in the pipes grounded to the unit and grounded to each tool.

do not try to dis-credit my knowledge for what I say is factual.

watch myth busters haven't you seen that episode? the static electricity that is on your clothes from sliding off fabric seats causes static electricity to ignite the gasoline fumes while pumping gas. and yes it did catch fire.

so there ..................Mr Bullthon

Reply to
Rick

For what it's worth, Harvel Plastics makes a CPVC duct, but I don't think it comes as small as

4" ID.
Reply to
Goedjn

Must live in area with a very high proportion of stupid people to see so many homes burn down, regardless of the cause. (or you are very old).

Yeah, that will work.

Suggest that you point to a government source of such information.

Igniting gas fumes with static electricity is entirely different from igniting lint. And cell phones do not cause fires at gas stations.

Yes a few, very few cases of static electricity igniting gasoline fumes while fueling vehicles at commercial pumps are documented. Caused by the person getting back in the vehicle after fueling started. Easy to fix, don't get back into the vehicle until you hang up the fuel nozzle!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon