Weird header over fireplace? Hanging flatscreen...

With my trusty studfinder I located a 2x10 mounted flat against the drywall about 4-5 feet off the floor about the fireplace in this condo. Studs were

16 in on center above and below but then there is this sandwich of a 2x10, 1/2" MSB and another 2x10. I ended up mounting the flat screen above into the studs but really wanted to go where this goofy 2x10 is. Any idea of its purpose and stability for a 110 pound load?
Reply to
JohansonWanson

Could it be that the "header" was built into the condo as blocking for the express purpose of hanging a big-screen TV over the fireplace??

We are in the last few weeks of building a house in Virginia to replace the one we lost on the Mississippi Gulf Coast to Hurricane Katrina and, after the framing crew left, the general contractor and I went through the house with a framing nail gun and a stack of 2X10. We put pieces of 2X10 between studs all over the place, measured their locations (so many inches down from the ceiling, so many inches from this or that wall), and took photos of every piece of blocking so we wouldn't forget where it is.

We put blocking in the walls to support:

-- grab bars in showers, tubs, and around toilets

-- hanging TV on walls

-- exhaust hood over gas cooktop

-- and lots of other stuff that just seemed like a good idea at the time

Is the builder available to answer your question?

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Could it have been to support some masonry when the chimney was being built? It may hold theTV, but do you really want it mounted that high? Seems to me, it will be uncomfortable looking up all the time.

screens are optimized for color and brightness to look best when viewing with the center of the screen at eye level. If you typically watch television from your sofa, this means you should position the screen with the center of the screen at eye level. In addition to best viewing conditions for the screen image, not craning your neck to look at the screen has important longterm health benefits. Now this doesn't mean you need to invest in surveyor's equipment to configure your screen exactly at eye level, but using your best guess of eye level compared to the center of the screen will result in better viewing than placing the screen above eye level.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Since I just knew someone would bring it up, let me invite you to the flat-panel-over-fireplace thread:

Roy Starrin