Weird drywall situation

Page 2 of 2
not getting paper tape to work right is caused by user error. it is far superior to mesh tape to make a nice tight corner. it also takes a little more work and a little more knowledge.
randy

Did you use fiberglass mesh on the joints or that old paper tape? I used to use that paper tape and it would often peel off when it got wet from the paint. I no longer use that crap. I use the mesh now and dont have that problem anymore. You might apply a fast drying non-water based paint over the joints before you use your latex paint. Something like the alcohol based KILZ. Or, even try some spray paint, I never tried that, but it may work. The gray auto primer may work and will be an easy color to paint over.
Mark
On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:14:30 -0600, "Mike Dobony"

Paper tape is generally superior to mesh tape. There is no scenario where you have applied the tape and joint compound properly where the tape would be allowed to get wet from the paint. Mesh tape is used only because it's sometimes faster.
To Jeffc
Just for my clairification, ( I'm not the original poster.) but you put compound - paper - then more compound?
I'm not a drywaller, but I have 3 sons who make holes, a 5 gallon bucket of mud and several dry wall speaders.
I'd take any tips I can.
REH

actual puncture, you probably want tape. (yes, compound-paper-compound, then dry, then sand, then another thin layer of compound if needed.) Paper is easier to cover and blend, but mesh is stronger, and better for inside corners where flex is a problem. If the drywall is fractured and pushed in, you need scabs on the back and screws, or a stud-to-stud patch. Buy your mud in smaller buckets- 5 gallons will go bad before you can use it up. And if the sons are tall enough to reach the hole, make <them> patch it (and paint it, later), while you stand there and supervise. (That was the rule in my house growing up- you break it, you fix it. Tends to promote caution, IMHO.)
If you have never done drywall before, spend 10 bucks at the big-box and buy a book- the pictures and diagrams will be worth it.