Weil Mclain CGa Boiler

Hi all,
Lately I have heard a little knocking from my pipes in the evening and thought nothing of it. I have had or should I say there has been a gallon can under I guess a vent/drain pipe since I have bought the house (approx. 2 months). Today that can was overflowing.
Can anyone tell me what would cause this? we are planning on finishing the basement and would like to not have this water problem.
Thank you very very much for you help. Steve
Is it steam or HW , where is the leaking vent , you dont give detailed info

since you did not describe your hot water heating system enough...
I'm gonna guess
If your boiler does not heat your domestic hot water
either expansion is full
or
automatic fill valve is shot
if hand fill
then the hand fill valve is leaking
If your boiler heats your domestic hot water and none of the above are true then the domestic hot water coil is leaking
Merry Christmas Happy New Year
Vic Plank Lancaster PA

Sounds like some air in the system. How long has it been since you had a furnace guy in?
--
Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season