Weil Mclain Boiler Rumbles

I had my boiler replaced a little over 1 year ago. Ran great for 1 year. It is the Weil Mclain Gold Boiler Forced Hot Water By Oil. I had it cleaned and serviced recently for the first time. The boiler wasn't paricularly dirty afer one year The original nozzle that came wih the boiler was a 1.25 gal/hr. The technician replaced it with a 1.00 gal per hour. I notice that the furnace rumbles when it starts up. I had the tech come back and he replaced the nozzle with a different style but still a 1 gal per hour. It runs better but still rumbles not as bad as before. Anyone have a clue about what may be wrong? Maybe he should go back to 1.25 gal/hour?

What did the technician say when you asked him why he installed a smaller nozzle?
oilheat987 had written this in response to http://thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Weil-Mclain-Boiler-Rumbles-254406-.htm :

probably scary as hell when it does start.
First, more than likely the rumble comes from what we called a "delayed ignition." What this means is that when the burner starts, it's pumping oil into the chamber without immediately igniting. Once enough oil is pumped into the chamber, you'll have lots of vapor there and it finally ignites creating the rumble. The key to figuring this out is once it's running for about a minute, it's running normal. Another indicator is that if the boiler has not started for a few hours, it starts with a rumble. Since it was just serviced, I tend to side with this decision. If you had called for a service call to begin with because of the rumbling, there would be other areas of concern to be looking at. What happened is the serviceman (not a tech because if he was, this wouldn't have happened)did not adjust or set the electrodes properly.
Second. "Downsizing" the nozzle isn't always a bad thing. The boiler was shipped with the 1.25 which is the maximum firing rate for that particular matter. There are variables to consider when changing any nozzle size on a burner. Is the burner capable of handling a different nozzle? How many BTU's do you really need to heat the home? What is the minimum firing rate of the boiler? Etc, etc, etc. Generally speaking if it's a Weil Mclain with a Beckett burner, it can be downsized to the 1.00 nozzle. Downsizing the nozzle can actually be beneficial because it's better that the boiler run a little longer to deliver the heat needed vs. what we call "short cycle."

-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 357784 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Could be it needs the 1.25 nozzle. Get him back to do the job right. The rumble is often cause by an improper mixture. There is a reason the factory set it up with a given size. I'd find a new service company if they can't get it right the next trip out. Talk to the owner of the service company.

Was he just trying to sell you a different nozzel, why did he change it to a different one.
He put in a smaller nozzle for two reasons: (1) To cut down on fue consumption (2) He felt that the burner was runig too hot because the paint blistered off of the site window cover.
Not sure if this is valid, but I don't like the rumbling. I'm concerend about damage to th combustion chamber due to rumbling.

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:39:31 +0000, mstrspy wrote:

Make sure the replacement nozzle will spray the oil in the same shape as the original factory equipped nozzle.
I'm not sure what the shape of the original nozzle was. (hollow or solid) He discarded the original nozzle.
Bear in mind, the tech that serviced this is the guy who installed the boiler. I would have thought that he would know wat nozzle shape to use.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:38:09 +0000, mstrspy wrote:

Yeh you would think so but it is something to consider when other possibilities have been exhausted. I have a certificate for completing training on oil furnaces from Trane so I know a little about them.

First of all, if it is burning efficiently, it won't save fuel. It will just run longer with a smaller flame to put out the same amount of heat. As long as that heat is getting to the water in the boiler and not up the stack, it is OK. What does the factory recommend? More important that nozzle size is the proper air/fuel ratio. It sounds like he screwed it up.
New units often have paint on places that may get singed. The sight glass is going to bet hooter than the insulated places around it.
I think your right, He probably did screw it up. I think I'm going to fire this guy. I usually have to call him several times before he comes out. Not very reliable. Meanwhile, I hope that my boiler isn't getting ruined. By the way, last year I aved an estimate of about 400 gallons of oil with this new system.

By the way, the boiler specs indicate .95 - 1.35 gal/hour so the 1 gal/hour is within spec. It just runs lousey.