Weight of truck on concrete sidewalk

Page 1 of 2
I am having an apartment building gutted because of fire, the contractor wants to park a dump truck on my lawn and sidewalk which is a few years old. The truck is medium size dual rear wheels with about 16-20 ft bed 5 ft high, I guess maybe 10 ton loaded but I dont know. What do I need to have them put under the wheels to protect my concrete and lawn, can I really protect the concrete from cracking. I thought using 1" plywood cut in half so I would have 2" thick 4 foot wide sheets under each wheel. Or must I have them park in the street.

Sadly plywood does not distribute the load very much. It's crap shoot as to your sidewalk if you park something heavy on it. Depends on how firm the ground is under it. Crossing the sidewalk is less risky than leaving it sitting on it. Can't they get on the other side of it?

No the sidewalk is up to the building and the truck will be there all day for days.

I believe they need to just reload it as they justy want to save money in the demo.

I would keep it off of the sidewalk. Experience speaking.
RonB

I was thinking that they were full of bs
On 5/10/2011 8:49 AM, ransley wrote:

I'm not sure how to arrange this contract-wise, but contractor should be held liable for damages if they occur.
Last year, I had some trees removed from a hilly area and contractor brought in a mat to lay over the lawn in parts he had to bring a log hauling tractor and lawn was left undamaged. It should be up to your contractor to do something similar.

It will be in writing they are liable, and I am thinking I am stupid to agree to let them do it and I dont need the extra headache.
On 5/10/2011 9:12 AM, ransley wrote:

Don't know what your payment options are but I would certainly hold back enough funds to cover any damages until job is done and walk is undamaged.
Usually best around here to withhold all payments until job is complete.

Yes and he offered nothing,
harry wrote:

Don't know about loads and such, but around here contractors for city road projects lay a honkin' big sheet of steel across holes in the street. I mean it's like 1/2" thick. That would probably distribute the load quite well.

@HeyBub:
Those steel plates used in roadway work are 1" thick or better and are only allowed to be used where the span of the hole it is covering is less than half the width of the plate and the plate is centered over the hole...
You need a serious size front end loader to move those things around safely...
In this particular situation such a plate is not recommended because they would represent a slipping hazard for foot traffic when wet and this sort of project work will go months where the truck the OP is worried about is being used as the dumpster for the contractor...
~~ Evan

Months to gut an apartment building? The OP is worried about a couple of squares of sidewalk - I don't think the job is anywhere near the size you're imagining. I'm guessing maybe six units and a week to gut it. Who's holding the pool money? ;)

I think its a week to gut, but the driving up and off the lawn is bs

Rico:
Not if the contractor is using the dump truck as a dumpster...
You can not store any sort of debris inside a partially occupied building with dwelling units, it represents a fire hazard...
The contractor will be making MANY daily trips to empty the truck at the waste dumping/recycling center during the demolition phase of the project and at least once a day thereafter to have a clean truck to fill with the next day's trash...
It is a great way to avoid creating an attractive nuisance on your property which could create liability if someone decides to trespass in a dumpster looking for "treasure" and got hurt -- it also totally eliminates the issue of "anonymous donations" of trash which cost the contractor/property owner more money to dispose of...
~~ Evan

There are benefits and disadvantages to doing things either way, but the OP already said the gutting would take a week and not months - so pay up! ;)

The contractor will need a trash disposal capacity on the building site throughout the entire project... During the demo phase the contractor will be frequently emptying the dump truck, during the building and finishing phases, the truck would only need to be emptied at the end of the day...
This sort of arrangement is *much* cheaper and safer than using a roll-off dumpster as those can not be left on the street overnight... The contractor already has this truck for use to deliver materials to the site and use to haul trash away -- his only costs to use this truck for those purposes are the fuel, maintenance and the driver... It gets *VERY* expensive to have a roll-off container swapped out several times a day... Moreso when you are dealing with neighborhood elements adding trash to it which you are paying to have hauled away...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

highly dependent upon location. when i built my house, there was a rolloff dumpster there 100% of the time. if you have to empty it multiple times/day, then it isn't big enough. get one larger for that phase, get a smaller one for later phases.

I've done projects both ways and which particular way makes more sense is entirely dependent on the project and location, and ultimately dollars. You're making so many assumptions about many factors of which you have no knowledge, and coming to conclusions with such certitude it makes me wonder. You can sell yourself on anything you like without information, but I set the bar a little higher.

ROFL...
Rico man, quit while you are ahead...
If ransley followed that advice he would have to pray that nothing ever leaked anywhere ever again -- lest the tenants be exposed to a raunchy mixture of wet fire damage and mold that would smell like a rancid BBQ...
Have to encapsulate the smoke/water damaged internals of the wall to head off any problems in the future...
~~ Evan