Weight of propane tank

I know this has come up before, but what is the approximate weight of a full and an empty propane tank like used on outdoor barbeques? I have one of those strips that change color on the side of the tank, but am having trouble seeing the color change.

TIA,

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Imprinted or stamped into the metal of the cylinder!

Reply to
Dave + Gloria

17/18 lb empty 33/38 lb full

for those strips to work, apply warm water, then fire up appliance for a minute. The fuel has to "boil off" and cool tank wall, by that time you can feel the tank surface with your hand and find the "top" of the liquid level without the strip. You can also "slosh" the tank and get an idea where the liquid level is, or use a cheap spring scale.

-- larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

Look for a "TW" and a number after it. This is the Tare Weight which is the empty weight in pounds. Full weight varies. A lot of the tank exchange companies are only selling 17 pounds net weight re-fills for a 20 lb. tank.

Steve

That is because of problems with the OPD valve with fully filled tanks.

As for the OP, he should have a spare tank on hand and not worry about the level. It is a real PITA to run out half way through a steak.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

k.

re: A lot of the tank exchange companies are only selling 17 pounds net weight re-fills for a 20 lb. tank.

And some are selling even less, as I mentioned earlier this evening in a thread entitled "How much do propane tanks weigh?"

Here's what I posted:

I typically go with Blue Rhino replacements from Walmart, but I was in a hurry and bought an AmeriGas replacement at Home Depot.

Here's the info from the tanks & labels:

Blue Rhino

- Tare Weight - 17.0 lbs - Net Weight - 17.0 Lbs Propane

AmeriGas

- Tare Weight - 17.5 lbs - Net Weight - 15.0 Lbs Propane

I don't recall the exact prices, but I can just about guarantee that the Home Depot price wasn't 13% percent cheaper!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ank.http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm>

.

Thanks to everyone, I'll disconnect the tank and weigh it on Sunday. The 17 and 34 numbers are about what I rermembered, but I didn't know if I should trust my memory or not. We don't use the grill very much, so I was curious how far down we had fotten.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

tank.http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm>

Still, buy a second tank, even if it's a small one, just to have on hand.

What do you do now - take your tank in when you *think* it's almost empty, giving away whatever is left in the tank, or finish cooking in the kitchen when your tank runs out in the middle of a grilling session?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

b. tank.http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm>

om...

Only had the grill a year, don't use very often. Saw the 17 tare weight on the tank top whan I removed the tand from under the grill. Total weight was 28.5 lbs, so I have about 1/2 tank left, enough to last throught the rest of this year. I don't want to buy a spare until i get close to needing it. thanks to all who replied.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

lb. tank.http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm>

.com...

re: 17 tare weight & Total weight was 28.5 lbs, so I have about 1/2 tank left

28.5 - 17 =3D 11.5

You have 1/2 tank left only if your tank started with 23 lbs of propane, which I doubt it did. Is there a label that tells you the Net Weight of propane that the tank started with?

I have 2 tanks. The Blue Rhino one is labeled with a net weight of 17 lbs of propane and the AmeriGas one is labeled with a net weight 15 lbs of propane.

So at 11.5 lbs left in your tank, you could have 2/3 of a tank or as much as 3/4 of a tank. But that's not what matters. Having 3/4 of a 15 lb net tank is the same as having 2/3 of a 17 lb net tank is the same as having 1/2 of a 23 lb net tank.

What matters is how much you started with compared to how much you have left. For example, if you've only used 3.5 lbs of a 15 lb net tank, then you have a longer time before you need to get a replacement than if you used 5.5 lb from 17 lb net tank over the same time period.

Do you know the original net weight of the propane in the tank?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

20 lb. tank.http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm>

ps.com...

No - I never weighed it before I started using it so that's an unknown. Still will wait until next Spring to buy a replacement tank as there is no way I'll need it before then.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Most likely, the Tare Weight (empty weight) is stamped on the handle. And most likely both in pounds, and kilograms.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to DerbyDad03, laura wrote: You're getting less gas with AmeriGas, right?

Reply to
laura