Weight of a railroad tie?

Pioneer Shopper covers most of SW Utah, and Tradio is on every weekday at nine to eleven on KSUB Cedar City. I 15 runs right through it. I live near Leeds in a small town called Toquerville.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Been through sightseeing after analyzer service trips -- last time would have been about '94/'95 time frame iirc. Been back to family farm in far SW corner of KS since '99. We're east of Liberal.

--

Reply to
dpb

replying to hallerb, Dave Brandt wrote: In the 60s they used oak and fir ties on curved track and softer woods for straight that's the main difference. Light ties are nice and easy but will rot faster. I learned the hard way to staple bisquin plastic to the dirt side so they don't sit there moist all the time. This will probly about double their life. If selling why replace it? New owner will maybe have different ideas.

Reply to
Dave Brandt

replying to hallerb, Dave Brandt wrote: In the 60s they used oak and fir ties on curved track and softer woods for straight that's the main difference. Light ties are nice and easy but will rot faster. I learned the hard way to staple bisquin plastic to the dirt side so they don't sit there moist all the time. This will probly about double their life. If selling why replace it? New owner will maybe have different ideas.

Reply to
Dave Brandt

I'm removing some that have been used for terracing for the last 50 years and used by the railroad before that. I'm a big guy and I can't pick these up by myself. I would say they are 200 lbs.

Reply to
arthurmikkola

Most are 7"x9"-8' --> 3.5 ft^3

If were dry oak, that would be about 46 lf/cu-ft --> 160 lb; in such use they'll be pretty-well saturated so if use 62 lb/cu-ft --> 210 lb which is probably pretty close...

Reply to
dpb

Likely Perce has worked that out in 11 years.

Reply to
Rod Speed

A creosoted 7" x 9" x 8.5' Hemlock tie is about 160 lbs. Locust would be closer to 240?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Just in case Perce recovers from the hernia he suffered back then, here are some specs of weight depending on type of wood:

See page 35 where weights vary from 156# to 218# for a standard tie.

Reply to
Anonymous