WEEPING WILLOW TREE ROOT

Hi all,

I have a giant weeping willow tree in my backyard near my shed. One of the roots has grown under the shed, and is starting to lift the shed structure. Short of digging under and around the root and cutting it with a chain saw, how can I stop this 1 root from continuing to grow ??? It's about 12" in diameter. I don't want to kill the tree, just this 1 root.

RON ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

the root is 12"!? or the tree is? Any way about it, just cut it if you are not happy with it. I mean, if it's causing problems with your shed, how deep could it be?

Steve Barker LT

Let's start with 12" ain't no root! It's a trunk!

I'll lay you odds that the trunk came under because there was moisture there.

You need to dig up the root and expect it to be loaded with moisture. I dug up 24 feet of trunk about 20 years ago during a drought and that sucker was soaked with moisture.

Every night when I came home I pour a gallon or more of water at the base of the tree. When the county put in a new sewer line, they cut out at least half of the root system and again I gave water every day during the summer. About two years, I was in North Carolina and drove passed the house - and my wife said "that damn tree is still alive."

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Kill the root and tree or possibly or kill your shed.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Careful. Willows fall over without a lot of provocation. At least they did for me.

If you cut that root, you may increase the chances the tree will go.

Take the whole tree down or move the shed.

Reply to
Dan Espen

12", Leave it and raise the shed. or you might kill the tree.
Reply to
ransley