Weeds and Lawn Care

Ever since I stopped hiring the chemical lawn treatment companies I have gotten more and more weeds interspersed in my lawn. I really don't want to use anymore herbicides because for health risks to humans and pets. I have heard from landscapers that people who have had treated their lawns by these lawn treatment companies have also had their dogs die of cancer. My dog did die of cancer.
Instead of using herbicides, what is safer way of ridding yourself of these herbicides that is ecological safe and that is safe for humans other than simply bending over and pulling them up from the roots?
Thanks
Bertie Brink http://www.setdefault.com/bertie
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:14:51 -0400, Bertie Brink

Overseed your lawn. Next year you'll have fewer weeds. You can use products like Weed-B-Gone or Spectricide and spot-treat the weeds--that way you are using a lot less chemical. I have never applied weed killer to my entire lawn, not only is this bad for people and pets but it is "punishment" to the grass. If you have crabgrass you will probably need to pull it out by hand.
supposedly one should fertilize the lawn, weeds are pigs and can't handle it and overdose. other ideas at: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Weed-Free-Lawn-Without-Using-Harmful-Chemicals
Bertie Brink wrote:

Either don't worry about the weeds, or don't worry about the damn dogs.
--
Steve Barker