Weed Whacker String Breaks all the time

I have an electric weed whacker. It works fairly well when it has string, but almost every 5 minutes the string breaks off inside the reel so I spend more time fixing the string than whacking. It seems the string sort of welds itself together. This is a factory wound spool, not one I would, so it should work. This whacker is new, and this spool came with it. What would cause this? I had an older whacker that hardly never did this, except the motor burned out. Thats when I bought this new one and the string has been nothing but trouble. I did have thicker string in the old one, maybe I need something thicker. Will that fix the problem?
Thanks Alvin
Cheap assed string does that. Also, good string can do it if it gets caught on something. (chain link fences are hell on string). Try some stihl brand string, and buy one size larger than your machine calls for.

Monster Cutters...as seen on TV.