Weed Wacker/trimmer Questions

Hi,
It's been about 20 years since I've looked at weed-wackers. I think that's the correct name; it's the gadget with the rotating monofilament nylon line spinning at the end of the shaft for trimming grass by steps, etc. 2 cycle engine located at the top of the shaft.
Will have to get a new one now, it looks like. Have only 1/2 acre or so; with 30% of that being grass. Still want to stick with a gas powered one. Don't really want to spend more than $100, or so.
Would appreciate:
suggestions as to brand, and which to possibly avoid ?
does another $ 20 buy me anything significant?
is the state of the art still that deplorable line-advance system of bumping on the ground (which never worked right for me), or is there something better available now ?
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Much thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

Hi, Straight shaft consumer grade Echo. I don't know today's price tho. Tony