Weed Trimmer Problems

I have a gas-powered weed trimmer and am constantly either replacing the line or the line falls inside the head. It utilizes two separate lines and I believe I am following the directions but I will wrap a good amount of line inside it and sometimes after only using it for a total of 20 minutes or so, the line is gone. Sometimes I find two or three-foot long pieces laying in the grass. Anybody have any thoughts as to what is happening? It's getting old.

Reply to
Jeffy3

The trimmer heads are replaceable, get a new head. Don't get the type with the hard plaistic blades unless your bank account is bigger than Bill Gates'.

RayV

My guess is that you are winding it backwards. More than once, I've not known which direction to go. Maybe invest in a new spool and check how it is wound. Heck, maybe just look at how it is wound when you're still at the store.

This is even more of a guess, Maybe you're winding in the right direction but you took a short cut, went on the wrong side of a peg.

Reply to
mm

I have a Homelite weed trimmer. It has the type of strings that are only about 14" long. They don't thread into the head, but pass through some crimpers that hold them in place. They don't last long if you don't watch out for concrete and rocks. They do come in bigger diameters, though, that are tougher, but you have to ream out the places where you can wedge them in to their holding spots.

I have another Weed Eater that has a bump and advance system, and it works pretty good. If yours isn't working and using that much line and shooting out pieces that long, there's something wrong with it. Perhaps you could take it to a shop for a cheap diagnosis.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

There are arrows to follow so I believe I am winding in the right direction, and I am not sure what you mean by the wrong side of a peg.

Reply to
Jeffy3