Weed killer for driveway?

i wonder if that would be safe in a septic tank application?

Reply to
Cam

Diesel fuel.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

"theres a safe cheap effective treatment, spread rocksalt on the area and water it in preferably with hot water. ever notice the dead grass near sidewalks treated with salt? just do it

on your driveway. i dump it in my washtub and add hot water a few times a year, especially in the spring, my terracota sewer line is bad, this kills the tree roots while the trees grow fine. "

I would like to pursue this idea. Is it for real? a lot of what i read on the net looks like: "i had a problem, i put enter-treatment-here, and i never had it again." well, somebody even said they used Round-up which is ineffective on roots. so, about this rock salt. have you actually seen the roots? i can use it cause it's pretty cheap but i'm very interested in seeing some results of studies. thanks for any help you can give...thehick

Reply to
thehick

I also have weed problems. OLD cracked asphalt driveway and a long one. Surely can't afford to replace it. And I read all the posts here. NONE of it works! Roundup is the closest to a working product but not against crabgrass. NOTHING kills that. Tried black plastic on a small veggie plot. Left it there for SIX MONTHS! Yea right. Well when I picked it up, the crabgrass that was under it was all yellow. And in a week it sprung right back to life!!! Tried vinigar, salt, even some of the strong stuff my husband got while delivering it to farmers. I dont' want to use any of it. I have a well and don't want to hurt the environment even if I didn't have a well. This stuff doesn't just go away. It all goes somewhere! I keep roundup on hand for the occasional large weed that got past me in spring. But that's all.

It's not the prettiest way but affordable. I make cement stepping stones to sell at craft shows. The extra cement poured into the cracks will STOP the problem. First dig out all the weeds and as much dirt as you can. Then when I clean the bucket anyway, I make sure I have extra and dump the extra cement in the cracks. Again not pretty but no weeds! I have even done this by pouring in the dry cement mix into the cracks and lightly spraying it with a hose. It works.

Don't know what to tell the poster about gravel. Ever try racking it on occasion? I have a simple weeding tool for my garden works on the principal that it slices the young weeds at the base before they get too big. Works well if you go at it on a regular basis. Deeper gravel will help too.

Reply to
artmaker

Just pave your driveway! Gasoline/Diesel fuel is horrible for the environment. Or just deal with having to re-apply the vegetation killer.

I can't believe anyone would recommend dumping gasoline onto the ground. Sheesh.

Jeb

____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com

jebber007

A few inches of asphalt works well.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I can't believe anyone would recommend dumping gasoline onto the ground. Sheesh.

Jeb

You ONLY need to use a very small amount and it killls fast, whats leftover evaporates.

Its not like someone is dumping gallons of the stuff contaminating the ground water

Reply to
hallerb

I found that dry concrete (not mixed) makes a great filler. It more or less sterilizes the ground under it and as it rains the stuff gets pushed into the cracks and makes a good hard gravel that keeps the weeds down well. It crumbles of course and isn't "cement", but it does last a couple seasons or more at a time, in my case anyway. Over gravel and sand, it seems to work well. HTH Pop

Reply to
Pop

a neighbor wanted a gravel driveway with no mud or weeds ever.

he had it dug out extra deep, had layer of cheap asphalt laid, then covered with 6 inches of compacted gravel.

to this day no weeds mud etc. he claimed it cost less than a real asphalt driveway and never required sealing etc...

Reply to
hallerb