Website help

This is a bit OT but thought one of you guys might know something about websites and domain names? I'm trying to set up a website for a small business idea but am being bombarded with advice about domain names etc. Some people seem to think it's easy to do by yourself, others are telling me to use something like this 'Business website needed? Create a small business website with 1&1'

Any advice? It's all a bit of a blur. I haven't got any website experience, but need something professional looking tha wont scare potential customers away.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ChloeP

I have a couple of 1an1 domains, basically duplicates because they were some sort of 2fer deal, but never paid for professional help. Many, many years ago I learned enough html to do it myself. As it was early days of the internet, and I was using dial-up isp, I might get a couple of calls a week on my consulting service. I lost this, and never recovered it when isp went down and I went to high speed.

I got the 1and1 sites then to prevent it from happening again but never got the publication that I had when grandfathered into the fledgling internet.

Since this is a dyi group, that's what I did and would do. Get a cheap site and take advantage of getting something up. If you start to make money, maybe go to a pro.

Reply to
Frank

I would invite you to consider leaving your business idea for another time when starting a business isn't frowned upon by those in D.C.

However, from the small amount of information you have given us, you appear to be more than qualified for what Barack and Kathleen are looking for to fix some of the minor glitches in a web site they have been tinkering with.

Get in touch with them. This is a guaranteed money maker for you! Even if you find that the project is too big and you can't handle it don't worry. Barack has never held anyone accountable for anything. Hell, if you screw it up bad enough you may even get a promotion.

Good luck.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

He's a spammer, trying to advertise some commercial website.

Last time it was home insurance.

Reply to
micky

Exactly!

If Joe Blow cheats the IRS out of a few grand, they'll go after him with the vengence of a scorned woman...and rightly so

However, if you scam ObamaCare Inc out of millions of dollars for a broken website, they'll forgive you and let you keep the cash.

It's important to steal legally!

Reply to
Tubby McJunkFood

ChloeP try alt.html Newsgroup

Reply to
Hot_Text

Not sure but I don't like to give advertisement to other web sites.

1and1 has slightly annoyed me in the past even to personally calling me to try to sell help with my web sites.

Having my own little consulting business, you can spend a ton of money having people set up stuff for you without making any money. Government regs can also drive you nuts.

Reply to
Frank

Okay, the very first thing that you want to do is to purchase your domain. Just go to

(no, I am not associated with them, just use them) and see if the domain name that you want is available with a ".com" suffix. Do NOT settle for any suffix except "com"! The domain will only cost you $12.00 per year. Once you get ready to build your website just go back to
and add what is called "essentials" to your domain for another $25.00 per year. This will give you the hosting space to upload your site to and make the site live. You can definitely make you own website with a little effort. Buy a couple of books on the subject and Google "how to write html code" which should give you more than the general idea.

Now you will need some software to write the code and create the site so go to

and download Kompozer which is a free open source program which will do the job for you.

The biggest problem with hiring a company to build the site is that they will build it so YOU are impressed rather than build it so that it will receive a lot of visits. Just remember that the object is to get people to the site not to impress you with the looks of the site.

Yes, I own several domains and have built many websites in the past and am currently building another one. I am DEFINITELY NOT advertising because I am still trying to retire but if you want to see an example of what you can do with Kompozer just point your browser to

. Yes, I am associated with that company but I did build the site with Kompozer.

One last thing, if you do decide to use a company to get your domain name and build your site just make sure that the domain is in YOUR name and NOT theirs!

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

This people have nice setup for web and Emails = check it out

"essentials"=20

Reply to
Tony944

1and1 is hosting 2 sites for me at total cost of about $80. They have some web building tools I don't use and the charge for better tools. Using for business, I can write it off.

Also use free Kompozer to write/edit and upload with free FileZilla.

Think all the word processor programs like MS Word or free ones like Open Office will create html documents but you still need to know how to upload graphics.

Reply to
Frank