Weather Stations

Page 1 of 2  
Not a repair question, but possibly on topic. I'd like to get a weather station for home. I'd like it to be able to download info to the computer and have software as part of the package.
Does anyone have one, or be able to make a recommendation?
Charles
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/16/2010 9:24 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:

I have one that connects to one of my computers and then also uploads every two minutes to one of my domains. You can see it at http://www.crsales.com/weather.htm . If for some reason you find that it is not uploading it is probably my fault (I recently changed servers and may still have some bugs) and not the fault of the weather station equipment. It is really handy when we are out of the area because we can not only check to see what the weather is doing back home but we can also check the inside temperature to make sure the furnace has not quit for some unknown reason.
It is a LaCrosse brand and you can find them at http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/ . Don't know the model right now but will look in a few days (leaving the area for awhile). Come to think of it, I have another new one just like it in my shop in case a part on this one ever fails.
If you have additional questions there is an e-mail link on my weather site.
Don (on the run)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have a LaCrosse too. Works great
http://esteroriverheights.com/esteroweather.jpg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've had a LaCrosse WS-2210 for ten years. It is wireless and requires some fussing when there is an occasional signal loss. If I had to replace it, I'd probably do something else. But if anyone cares about the weather at my house: http://weather.douglasjohnson.org
-- Doug
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:03:20 -0600, Douglas Johnson

Mine will do wireless but I hard wired it anyway. It seems more stable.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/18/2010 11:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I know my LaCrosse WS-2210 is more stable when it is hard wired. As long as the cable is not more than about 30 feet long. Then it won't work at all.
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'm confused. My WS-2210 has no ability to be hardwired. The sensors have no external connectors, nor does the base station. The manual does not talk about hard wiring either. -- Doug
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/18/2010 7:10 PM, Douglas Johnson wrote:

Ok, I take it back. Mine is a WS-2315.
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Mine is the 2308. The cable I use is 2 twisted pair, that may make some difference but you also need to take into account that there are 2 ways to punch down an RJ11. All "phone" cables are not created the same. I was careful to match the stock cable (tab up/down on each end).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You can buy 3 function weather stations (temp, wind speed, and direction) for as little as $80 at Wallmart (LaCross) or pay up to $1K for the quality stuff from Davis. There's plenty of choices to suit your budget in between.
There's a lotta modular and DIY stuff, too. Check out a one-wire option if your a linux user and handy with a soldering iron.
http://oww.sourceforge.net /
nb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Charles Bishop wrote:

Why do people have weather stations? I have a "gadget" on my screen that continuously displays local temperature and weather...along with forecasts for the next few days. Numerous websites let me look at all kinds of info. I rarely look at it because I sit near a window. Why should I have my own weather station linked to the web?
I did buy most of a weather station at a garage sale. Every time I set out to install the rain gauge, I looked at the gauge, the ladder, the wiring... Then I looked outside and said, "it's not raining. How much more do I need to know?" I jumped at the chance to sell it for 10 times what it cost me. So, somebody wants a weather station.
Having said that, I do monitor temperature and humidity inside, outside, in the attic, and in the crawl space. But I actually use the information so I can take action to prevent pipes freezing.
I've gone to a lot of trouble to measure and graph electricity and gas consumption. Was interesting data for 15 minutes. But in the end, if I'm cold, I turn up the thermostat. What the graph says is irrelevant. Every month I get a free report the gas and electric companies.
What's the other info good for? It's not like you can turn down the clouds if it's raining too hard.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Because I want one. Since I'm paying for it that's the only reason I need.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Bingo!
Another reason, despite there being dozens of other existing stations, none of them are right outside my window and may be far from what I am experiencing at any given moment. I'm quite rural and the closest online station to me is an airport 7 miles away. I've manually measure temps of 15F difference from that airport. I'm also down in a canyon next to a river. Nothing like the airport up on a windsweapt plateau.
Another problems is the fact that some of those online weather networks are all screwed up. On one site I've been to, I enter my zip code and the site gives the correct zip location for myself, but provides readings of a mountain pass located 50 miles away and several thousand feet higher, a pass so remote it's closed most of the Winter. IOW, totally useless.
As with most things, you get what you pay for. Wanting to try the brand, I got a LaCross (Walmart) remote temp sensor. It died in 10 mos and was giving readings as much as 10F off. Basically, junk.
As for a reason, like you say, any one will do. The older I become the more fascinated I become by weather. I used to live in dull hot two season CA. Now I live in high cold CO (8000ft!), where it snows and everything and weather changes by the hour. I'm like a kid in a toy store! ;)
nb
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

All those reasons too as well as the idiosyncrasies of anyplace.

Yes. Beats being fascinated by violence, little boys, dope, etc.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mike wrote:

Some cut here and there.
Farmers could use the information for irrigation scheduling. They can use the heating degree day info to judge when a crop is mature. Besides, weather takes up a good portion of the coffee shop talk. A farmer would be embarrassed if he can't tell the group how much rain he got.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
A nice professional type weather station that will do what you want can be found at www.davisnet.com. It is not cheap but it is very good.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Charles Bishop wrote:

As long as you're using a computer, consider "Weather Bug." It's an application that downloads data from weather stations continuously. A "weather station" may be only a few blocks from your home - my displayed data comes from an elementary school about 1/4 mile away.
Don't cost nothing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote in

Another respectable brand.
http://www.zephyrinstrument.com
Some are listed as having minor cosmetic flaw and have a big discount. I picked up one of them. Never did find the flaw.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11/16/2010 9:24 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:

I have a La Crosse weather station. It works, but I am not really happy with it. Of course before this one I had a Davis station. The Davis was much better. But much more expensive. The next time I may try Oregon Scientific. They are somewhere in the middle in price.
One of the biggest problems I have with the 2 I have had is the software. I haven't gotten any that was really fully satisfactory. The La Crosse I have now has software that is really poor as far as I am concerned. It just sits there and tells you what the current reading is. I bought a second source software package that is better than the Heavy Weather software that came with the station, but it really doesn't do what I would like. It is still a lot better than just the Heavy Weather.
Bill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You don't say what second source software you have, but you might take a look at: http://www.weather-display.com/index.php
I've been using it about 10 years and am fairly pleased. It is mostly a personal project of a farmer in New Zealand (really), so it is a bit idiosyncratic. But he works hard at it works for most weather stations. -- Doug
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.