Weather - Central TX

Does anyone know if there is a website that compares last year's temperatures to this year's?

I'm trying to determine why I used 20% more kwh this month compaired to this month last year.

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

I'll go out a limb here, but your local power authority would be a good place to start. Even a power bill.

Change in lifestyle?

Reply to
Oren

Not here. I'll check the webpage but I doubt it.

That's a good guess. Added 1 small freezer and 1 small aquarium but other than that it should be lower. I carefully caulked around all the windows and skylights. Even the baseboards and siding. I was expecting a lower bill.

I'm trying to find out if I should get a new a/c. But with the price >$5000 I want to be sure I need it. I had it serviced and the guy said I should start saving for a new one.

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

My utility bills show me degree days for this year and last year, or google cooling degree days, or heating degree days, is your system maintained, was it checked out.

Reply to
ransley

e-mail a local Meteorologist

Check doors for leaks.

Nothing wrong with an emergency fund.

Reply to
Oren

It was much hotter this year (at least for the past three months) than last. Perhaps you've heard of global warming? :-)

I would say holding the increase to 20% was a major achievement. Congratulations.

Reply to
CJT

Usually the biggest bang for the buck is more insulation, followed by massive attic ventilation.

Reply to
HeyBub

I agree. Look into a radiant barrier, _especially_ in central Texas and other sunny locales.

Reply to
CJT

Thanks that's what I was looking for.

I doubt there is one Texan over 5 y/o that hasn't heard of global warming.

From "King of the Hill":

DALE: That's code for U.N. commissars telling Americans what the temperature's going to be in our outdoors. I say let the world warm up, let's see what Boutros Boutros Ghali Ghali has to say about that. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!

HANK: Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas! It's already 110 in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter, I'm going to kick your ass!

:)

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

Thanks. Those are already in the plan. I've already got good insulation but I need some more attic ventilation and I'm looking into a radiant barrier by next summer.

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

Done. The house is pretty well insulated and sealed. I need better windows but it's not in the budget.

I looked at this and so far it looks like this summer has been much hotter than last.

It rained more last year.

That's the only bills I have to compair so I *guess* a 20% increase is to be expected.

Thanks

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

I'm sure NOAA has data; I use

that has relatively easy links for any site.

--

Reply to
dpb

For even more detail go to wunderground.com Enter your zip for a local station. You can get specific date histories going back many years. Look for History & Almanac about half way down the page.

Reply to
Jim

July 4th:

Last year (2007) was 117F This year (2008) was 110F

It was cooler here....cooking a same size pig....

Pool water was 80F and nicer than last year.

Reply to
Oren

My utility bills show me degree days for this year and last year, or google cooling degree days, or heating degree days, is your system maintained, was it checked out.

Yeah I mentioned that above. The system apparently has a slow leak in the inside coils. We charged it but the tech told me I'd need a new a/c soon. I'm just keeping an eye on it until next summer.

I think the bills in albuquerque used to do the same but not these austin utility bills.

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

Thanks. Got the link and I'll check it out.

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

Funny. I don't remember reading of a coil leak. Please expound. Clarify if you care. If I missed the mark then let me know.

Reply to
Oren

The evaporative coils (?) inside the a/c unit. He didn't check it but he checked everywhere else. He charged it 4.5 lbs freon and charged me up the wahzooo.

He said with the age of my system I should replace instead of repair. So next spring we're probably getting a new unit.

If that was one day, July 4th, I don't think it means much. I remember last year the drought broke and it rained a lot. Seemed much cooler to me. I've only been here for 3 summers and the first one, 2006, seemed very hot. 2007 seemed cooler. This one is the hottest. My memory isn't that great so I'll have to go back and check the data.

My pool has been at 85 F for about a month now with no heater. I just got out. :-)

A nice side effect of global warming. Oh well..........

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

"Billy Pilgrim" wrote in news:XHOik.266923$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Did they itemize what the cost of the 4.5 lbs was?

I'm curious because a short bit ago I looked online and they were getting $200/tank to buy it. One person posted what they paid for the itemized freon and I figured they end up selling bit by bit from the 30lb tank and ended up getting over 2k for that $200 tank.

Reply to
Red Green

That was me. I emailed the crooks but they never responded. I don't want to fight over it. I've got high BP and it's not worth it.

Live and learn...

To anyone in the Austin area; avoid Christian Bros. They are anything but.

Billy Pilgrim