Weather - Central TX

Page 1 of 2

Does anyone know if there is a website that compares last year's temperatures to this year's?
I'm trying to determine why I used 20% more kwh this month compaired to this month last year.
--
Wm

I'll go out a limb here, but your local power authority would be a good place to start. Even a power bill.

Change in lifestyle?

Not here. I'll check the webpage but I doubt it.

That's a good guess. Added 1 small freezer and 1 small aquarium but other than that it should be lower. I carefully caulked around all the windows and skylights. Even the baseboards and siding. I was expecting a lower bill.
I'm trying to find out if I should get a new a/c. But with the price >$5000 I want to be sure I need it. I had it serviced and the guy said I should start saving for a new one.

e-mail a local Meteorologist

Check doors for leaks.

Nothing wrong with an emergency fund.

Done. The house is pretty well insulated and sealed. I need better windows but it's not in the budget.
I looked at this and so far it looks like this summer has been much hotter than last. http://www.met.tamu.edu/osc/tx/txyear.html . It rained more last year.
That's the only bills I have to compair so I *guess* a 20% increase is to be expected.
Thanks

July 4th:
Last year (2007) was 117F This year (2008) was 110F
It was cooler here....cooking a same size pig....
Pool water was 80F and nicer than last year.
Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Usually the biggest bang for the buck is more insulation, followed by massive attic ventilation.
HeyBub wrote:

I agree. Look into a radiant barrier, _especially_ in central Texas and other sunny locales.
Thanks. Those are already in the plan. I've already got good insulation but I need some more attic ventilation and I'm looking into a radiant barrier by next summer.

My utility bills show me degree days for this year and last year, or google cooling degree days, or heating degree days, is your system maintained, was it checked out.

My utility bills show me degree days for this year and last year, or google cooling degree days, or heating degree days, is your system maintained, was it checked out.
============================================ Yeah I mentioned that above. The system apparently has a slow leak in the inside coils. We charged it but the tech told me I'd need a new a/c soon. I'm just keeping an eye on it until next summer.
I think the bills in albuquerque used to do the same but not these austin utility bills.

Funny. I don't remember reading of a coil leak. Please expound. Clarify if you care. If I missed the mark then let me know.

The evaporative coils (?) inside the a/c unit. He didn't check it but he checked everywhere else. He charged it 4.5 lbs freon and charged me up the wahzooo.
He said with the age of my system I should replace instead of repair. So next spring we're probably getting a new unit.
If that was one day, July 4th, I don't think it means much. I remember last year the drought broke and it rained a lot. Seemed much cooler to me. I've only been here for 3 summers and the first one, 2006, seemed very hot. 2007 seemed cooler. This one is the hottest. My memory isn't that great so I'll have to go back and check the data.
My pool has been at 85 F for about a month now with no heater. I just got out. :-)
A nice side effect of global warming. Oh well..........

Did they itemize what the cost of the 4.5 lbs was?
I'm curious because a short bit ago I looked online and they were getting $200/tank to buy it. One person posted what they paid for the itemized freon and I figured they end up selling bit by bit from the 30lb tank and ended up getting over 2k for that $200 tank.

That was me. I emailed the crooks but they never responded. I don't want to fight over it. I've got high BP and it's not worth it.
Live and learn...
To anyone in the Austin area; avoid Christian Bros. They are anything but.
http://www.christianbrothersac.com/

Sorry I didn't recall it was you Billy. I was just astonished at the 10+ x costing.

OK!
I guess I really do need some new glasses. This is the scond time today that I've glanced at the header and have seen "weather - control TX" and both time's I've thought "Wow. Those Yank's must be on to something" :).

yes u need glasses. Weather - *CENTRAL* TX :-)

OK! I guess it's my fault for forgetting to put the smiley face in both my message and the subject header. It was 'posded to be a joke bud!

fine but didn't get it :)