Weak screen door pneumatics

I have a screen door with two of those pneumatic tube things that are supposed to hold it open. They don't. With both clips in place, the door begins closing precisely when I'm in the middle of hauling something large through the doorway, and don't have hands free to deal with the door. Do these things simply wear out, or is there a way to adjust them?

The clips may be upside down, or there is oil on the piston rod. Usually, the stay clips work ok, once set. You may need to lower the spring tension on the door. Some units are adjustable, others you have to reposition the rod attachment, or the piston. The units are often faulty, or poorly engineered - I have the same problem with some of mine. There is also a small screw on the piston that adjusts the door closing rate.

Just what I need. Another project. I think I'll just use a cinder block to hold the door open, and deal with the real problem in the spring. Maybe.