"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Page 9 of 12  

wrote Re Re: "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!":

Great articles. Thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

Do you actually have a consistent opinion about anything? Unless your mission is to be the jerry springer of Usenet you just make yourself look silly.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Following my retirement from Qwest, I signed-up for the services of a reputable, local employment agency.
When I was hired (again) by Walmart, I was asked by owner of the aforementioned agency to reveal my starting wage. When I did so, she remarked that that was "quite good for retail".
It was almost a third of what I was making after almost 35 years at the phone company but significantly more than minimum wage.
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No. I can't even give you a BAD reason.
Can YOU give me a reason - ANY reason - why Walmart is a "welfare queen". (This should be entertaining.)
Of course, while unexpected, specific citations would be helpful.
If Walmart is breaking laws or committing crimes, they should be punished.
If Walmart is NOT breaking laws or committing crimes, you should shut up.
If Walmart is operating within the law, your prejudice against the corporation is undeserved and misguided. Your ire should be directed at those "improperly" accommodating Walmart. The ballot box and initiative process comes to mind.
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Redelfs wrote: > > If Walmart is breaking laws or committing crimes, they should be > punished. > > If Walmart is NOT breaking laws or committing crimes, you should shut up. > > If Walmart is operating within the law, your prejudice against the > corporation is undeserved and misguided. Your ire should be directed at > those "improperly" accommodating Walmart. The ballot box and initiative > process comes to mind.
It is entirely possible for a business to be operating within the law and have an unethical business practice or an unsound business philosophy or to violate something that falls out outside the capacity for legal redress and to have a legitimate complaint against them.
One example of a different nature: I stopped doing business with Sears 26 years ago when I bought a house and was looking at washers and dryers and was told that they didn't have any incentive financing for major appliance purchasers, the reason being, and I quote, "We don't have to do anything extra to get your business. We're Sears -- you are automatically going to come to us." I figured that if they felt like they didn't need to do anything to get my business, they didn't deserve it, and I have not bought a single thing at Sears department store since (although I do make some purchases at Orchard Supply Hardware, which is owned by Sears but which *does* go the extra mile to help customers and encourage their business).
I have the right to complain about Sears' shoddy business philosophy even though they have not broken the law. You cannot tell me that I cannot complain because they are breaking the law. I think it absolutely stinks that a business feels that they are doing you a favor by staying in business and that you owe it to them to shop with them to the point that they take it for granted.
Walmart used to be a good place before Sam died. I think the stores that have been built since he died have a totally different atmosphere than the ones that have been around for ages -- at least, when a group of us were discussing Walmarts all around the country and what made some of them great and others abysmal, that was the general consensus. Perhaps you work at one that has been around forever and is totally different than the one here that was built after Sam died.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Agreed.
You'll notice how poorly Sears has done in the ensuing years. It's a reasonable conclusion that your experience was not unique and that the attitude you describe pervaded the company to its detriment.
You did the right thing (stopped shopping at Sears).

Absolutely. In fact, you might consider doing so as your DUTY as a Capitalist.

Agreed, and I have not been telling you that. However, I am equally vocal when I believe someone or some thing - including a business for which I care - is being unfairly maligned.

I agree. I contend, however, that Walmart (specifically) has never employed that concept as corporate practice. They didn't get to be the world's largest employer and retailer by abusing their customers. If they did, they would eventually fade as has Sears and K-Mart.

I work in Omaha's first Supercenter, but its third store. IIRC, it was built in 1999 or 2000 - well after Walton died in 1992.
I am skeptical of your contention that newer stores have a "totally different" atmosphere than older ones. They are all operated and managed in virtually the same manner with some, minor differences based on demographics. Indeed, I have patronized more than a few, distant stores, of varying ages in different communities and notice a specific sameness among them.
I recall Sam's "Made in USA" campaign that proliferated for a time before his death. He would surely be disappointed to know the extent to which that concept has changed.
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Redelfs wrote:

It seems you are really fixated on the Rush Limbagh version of capitalism where whatever is done is just OK as long as someone is making out.
So let me pose a question. Lets say your folks are retired/elderly. You really aren't in frequent touch with them but one day they sheepishly admit they lost a significant part of their nest egg because they were scammed by a broker who was on the fine edge of legality.
Would you immediately ask for at least the phone number of the broker so you could congratulate him and if not why not?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

Possibly.
Michael Milken was known as the "Junk Bond King." He was sent to prison for marketing high-yield, essentially worthless, bonds to finance corporate mergers and acquisitions.
His "creative" efforts helped launch, MCI, Turner Broadcasting (CNN), AOL, the cell-phone industry (via Craig McCaw), several of Steve Wynn's Las Vegas hotels, and other endeavors.
I'm sure some got hurt by his shenanigans (including Milken himself). But millions more got jobs.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
HeyBub wrote:

So what is your point? That those companies would never exist unless it was for a POS like milken without a moral compass screwing people? That the cellphone industry or hotels wouldn't exist? That somehow everything is OK because lots of folks got screwed but some folks got jobs they would have gotten anyway through normal growth?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Redelfs wrote:

It was not my contention; it was the consensus drawn of quite a large number of NG participants as we were discussing Walmarts.
You are in the midwest, yes? I am in California. Sam was gone for a long time before the first Walmart made its appearance here. I have been to Walmarts back east as well as out here, and honest, the atmosphere is different.

Of that we are in total agreement, and I suspect there would be other things he wouldn't be happy with, either.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

Exactly, I couldn't say it better.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote Re Re: "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!":

Yep, same here. Corporate welfare.
The business entity gets the town to do the infrastructure improvement ($30 million on the last project here). The local politicos get the tax revenue to shower on their favorite friends & projects, the taxpayers get to pay the bill and the neighbors get to live with the noise and congestion.
Works great for everyone except the tax payers and neighbors.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If this is a BAD THING<tm>, perhaps you should express your dissatisfaction for such accommodation at the ballot box. It is, after all, your (presumably) elected representatives that are giving the accommodations. Walmart, and any OTHER business, can ASK for the sun, moon and stars. Those in the position to GIVE those things are responsible for the "gift" - not the recipient.
Only a fool would turn down legitimate gifts.
--
:)
JR

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Redelfs wrote:

Actually lots of businesses choose not to take the welfare. Would you proudly announce to your friends you were on welfare?
Also I am only one voter and can call this to the attention of a few family members and friends. Maybe if just a few people read my words and think "gee, we have a tiny house and pay $5,000/year property taxes and Walmart doesn't pay anything" it might get thenm to act differently at the poll.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If you have a 'tiny' house and are paying 5K in taxes..... You need to move... That's YOUR fault.
s
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have a tiny house and I pay 5K in taxes. Moving wouldn't help. That's just what it costs to live in upstate NY. We pay the highest taxes in the nation, and my county is near the top of the list.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
So moving to where the taxes are less wouldn't help ??? Hmmmmmmmmm
s

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Let's see...we both quit our jobs, yank the kids out of school, and move out of state? Yeah, that makes sense. Top-posting moron. Plonk.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Steve Barker DLT posted for all of us...
What does DLT mean?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And you, of course, are prepared to prove that. Not jsut _say_ it happens but prove that some business has turned down such a golden goose.
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.