"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

ya, kind of like that four eyed drew MF carey taking bob barkers place.....

Steve Barker DLT

All of it. I do understand how big corporations typically work. When they get caught doing something rotten they make a big point to put up posters and hold coffee clatch meetings while quietly telling managers just don't get caught next time.

So the end justifies the means. So you are saying it is a good thing that they screw their suppliers?

Again the end always justifies the means? You are just trotting out the same nonsense everyone uses to defend Walmart. If you don't agree that morality should be set aside then somehow you are anti-capitalist and a Hussein Obama supporter.

Sorry no. Lots of evidence how Walmart has a free tool rental service.

Reply to
George

They don't, it is a state program where the state acquires the property and then Walmart gets to use it for cheap.

I live in a mountainous area. All of the primo spaces in the valley plain areas are occupied. So if you need to accommodate a super wally and have it anywhere near the population you need to do some heavy duty blasting and prep work to create a terraced space. I know exactly what you are describing but that doesn't work here because of topography. The closest will be when we move local Walmart #3 across the street. There is already a complex that was build by a private developer (its a novel idea). From the plans I saw at my friend's office the new Wally site we are building will almost touch the existing complex.

No, not really. If we run utility lines to a terraced space on a mountain who else can use them? And in this area the prospective user pays for utility extensions. My brother had to pay $6,000 to have a natural gas line extended 150' down the public borough road so he could get service. My buddy built a garage for equipment for his business and it cost him over $100,000 for relatively minor extensions. But we pay for Walmarts expenses.

I know Target for example didn't. I know Lowes didn't. I know a regional market who built two large stores here didn't. Walmart without a doubt is the welfare queen.

As I said lots of other outfits don't get welfare. Can you give me a good reason why Walmart should be on welfare?

Before you answer consider this. I know a guy and his son because they belong to the same shooting club I do. And an old friend happens to work for them as a property manager.

Years ago the guy opened a food market and then grew the business all on his own. Now he owns 3 large modern complexes (with a 4th in planning) anchored by a large food store, the plazas include gas stations, large hardware/garden stores, mini-marts and around 15 spaces for the typical bank, laundry & medical offices. The guy is tough, no-nonsense, wealthy, not a supporter of Hussein Obama and doesn't spout "God bless America, I am sure God would want me to do whatever it takes to make money etc) but he is an adamant believer in not being greedy so unlike Walmart he pays his help well and also provides real benefits and his business isn't on welfare.

Reply to
George

Same here. If you buy a loaf of bread and a pound of cheese it isn't taxable. If you buy a sandwich at the deli it is. It gets a little bizarre with other things. Certain types of wrapping paper/film and bags for example are taxable and others aren't.

Reply to
George

That's what they SAY. And Target makes a point of noting their charitable contributions.

Logic, however, says differently. They don't contribute to EVERY charity, therefore they DO pick and choose. They could just as easily choose to allow only the Salvation Army (as does Walmart). That they don't is evidence sufficient they are familiars of Satan.

Reply to
HeyBub

WM doesn't hold a gun to anyone's head. The contract is clear and many people have walked away content. It is hard to screw someone who entered into an agreement voluntarily (unless one is a hooker, then it is a requirement).

There is no ends and no means. Every dealing with WM is a dealing voluntarily entered into by both sides. Just because the results offend someone's sense of equity after the fact (and largely not those involved in the deal..which I find very enlightening) is hardly WM's fault. It isn't like WM is able to sneak up on people any more and surprise them. WM has been well known for years for how it works with vendors. Hardly the only one that does it, either.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Amen to that! I have tried to watch him (follows Leno here) and can see no humor at all in his monologue. His "apeing" is way overboard also.

I suspect "The Tonight Show" will tank within 6 months of the replacement.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Actually lots of businesses choose not to take the welfare. Would you proudly announce to your friends you were on welfare?

Also I am only one voter and can call this to the attention of a few family members and friends. Maybe if just a few people read my words and think "gee, we have a tiny house and pay $5,000/year property taxes and Walmart doesn't pay anything" it might get thenm to act differently at the poll.

Reply to
George

I thought that about the PIR after drew MF carey took it over....... but he's still there.

I suspect "The Tonight Show" will tank within 6 months of the replacement.

Harry K

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

If you have a 'tiny' house and are paying 5K in taxes..... You need to move... That's YOUR fault.

Steve Barker DLT

And this is only for the Dreaded WalMart? This isn't a program available to others who qualify under whatever the criteria are? Solely and utterly a plan at the beck and call from the Boys from Arkansas. The WalMart Act? Or is it just the use by WM that offends you?

Sounds like a problem with the government instead of WM. Vote 'em out.

If qualifies under the state law, why shouldn't they?

Cool. Does HE have any problems with WalMart getting this largesse?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

So moving to where the taxes are less wouldn't help ??? Hmmmmmmmmm

Steve Barker DLT

I have a tiny house and I pay 5K in taxes. Moving wouldn't help. That's just what it costs to live in upstate NY. We pay the highest taxes in the nation, and my county is near the top of the list.

Let's see...we both quit our jobs, yank the kids out of school, and move out of state? Yeah, that makes sense. Top-posting moron. Plonk.

Target has a political "agenda" which the Salvation Army does not fit, but underneith their elitist facade they buy/sell proportionally as much Chinese goods and sweat shop clothing as anyone.

Reply to
RickH

A small manufacturer can hit the jackpot overnight with a WM contract, there is a constant flow of vendors traveling to Arkansas for an evaluation by WM buyers.

Reply to
RickH

Steve Allen was still the best IMO, followed by Johnny Carson. All the others are about the same but Letterman annoys me more than Conan.

Reply to
RickH

No, it was only one possible factor as to why Walmart has tons of shoppers whereas many people here don't like them. -- bad sampling of the online poll.

Reply to
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH t

The most ludicrous sales tax policy I ever heard of was when we were driving from Pennsylvania to Georgia, and my mom went in a store in some state to buy a pair of socks. The clerk asked if the socks were for someone over or under the age of 14 (or some teenage, under-18 number), and my mom asked why and was told that clothing for people on one side of the number was taxed and for people on the other side of the number wasn't -- I forget which was which at this point; I was a very young child then. My mom asked the clerk if that meant that clothing for [whichever age group had their clothing taxed] was optional.

Reply to
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH t

What time of the year would that have been? Some states have a back to school "tax holiday" of a couple weeks with similar age restrictions. That, of course, are pretty much ignored.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman