"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Page 7 of 12

Obviously you've never been to Chicago or Milwaukee.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:26:45 -0700 (PDT), RickH

I lived in Chicago for 6 years, and I thought about it, but could only remember the two lane alley in the basement of Ida Noyes Hall.
I suppose there were bowling alleys, but I can't remember any from 1964 to 1970, and I drove a cab for a year, all over the city. Plus I had a car for 3 years, although I never went bowling.

Trashy won't wear off on you Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

In which locale is that? You're saying that grocery stores don't pay property taxes? Never heard that one before.
--
Dave
Dave Bugg wrote:

Most likely the OP was referring to sales tax which is not levied on food in some states

Move to NY.....you pay tax on top of tax on top of tax......forever.
On 08/19/08 02:07 am rochacha wrote:

We lived in NY (Long Island, not NYC) for several years and have no idea to what you are referring. Of the 8.5% ST, 4% went to the state and the rest to the county, but the taxes were not cumulative.
Perce
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:15:18 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

There's also an entertainment tax, but that's true in many states, and NY has a lot more entertainment.
There's also a hotel tax. Is that the same as the entertainment tax? Regardless, I think the hotel tax is everywhere, and NYS has more reasons to visit.
NYC has a local surcharge on the state income tax iirc, but that sort of thing is elsewhere too, I don't know how much.
The Maryland sales tax is up to 7%, having been raised 1 percent during a special sesssion last December which some said was illegal.
I miss NYC. It's a great place.

They sure are in Upstate NY (middle of the state, not Westchester).
Bob wrote:

True. But there are many other taxes besides what's missed on food :-)
--
Dave

And it has been pointed out several times that businesses do _not_ pay sales tax ever, anywhere. The customer pays it.
Samantha's "theory" is bogus no matter how you look at it.
Harry K

As I hear it, they also often move in when getting a break from local taxes that other businesses would have to pay in their place.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

for any business. They are just a little more agressive in asking for them than some others.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Not really, at least in my state Walmart has the special hotline to get the government to pick our pockets to pay for ultradeluxe corporate welfare. They get free building sites, free infrastructure etc and a nine year tax exemption. When the nine year tax exemption is running out wally calls the hotline so they can move across the street to restart the nine year tax exemption. In my area we are now moving the third wally all of 1/8 of a mile. We pretty much had to level a mountain for them. All this because they "create jobs"...
Contrast this with someone I know who has a good business plan and is growing in leaps and bounds and is mostly constrained by funding. He actually creates real jobs with actual benefits (Walmart gives instructions on how to sign up for welfare and free medical) and he can't even get a reduced rate loan to help move to a new building. And this is by no means an unusual case.

Let me guess: They are closing an OLD store (no groceries) and opening a MUCH larger "Supercenter".

It's true. If the arrangement was not beneficial to your area, one can assume that the governing body(ies) would not OFFER special incentives to get the store(s).

Wrong. Prove it.

That shouldn't be too much of a hurdle for a business that is "growing in leaps and bounds"

Name a business that doesn't operate under such constraints.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

Pork, my dear, pork. At the local government level, but pork nonetheless.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:25:04 -0700, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to

Don't you mean 'bribes'?

I believe you are employing the wrong concept. "Pork" is excessive spending tacked onto legislative bills.
If I am correct in what you are charging, the proper terms are "graft" and "corruption" - public officials taking bribes "under the table" from someone to benefit the perpetrator with their legislation.
That's another, whole, different thing.
I doubt that Walmart is involved in such chicanery: There's no need.
--
:)
JR

message

They pay taxes here. Never heard of such an exemption.
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

I'm missing something here. Why would Walmart care how much sales tax the customer pays?