"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Page 5 of 12

On Tue 19 Aug 2008 10:51:30a, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply told us...

Your quote is certainly a true statement.

We are very careful to not be caught in thei trap.

--
Wayne Boatwright

It's not a "trap" and certainly not for YOU.
"Let the buyer beware" is another concept that predates Walmart by a few, thousand years.
--
:)
JR

That is an excellent, time-honored adage.

I'm not surprised. You get what you pay for.
When I worked in Electronics, I had more than a few customers come in looking SPECIFICALLY the CHEAPEST DVD player. Warranty and brand name were of NO concern - just that it was the cheapest.
Walmart accommodates that customer as well as the informed, discriminating customer with a variety of products.
(No, I am not a Walmart "hack" or "plant". In fact, after this spate of contribution, I wouldn't be surprised to get a "cease and desist" letter from my employer.)
--
:)
JR

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 04:43:46 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

[snip]
I try to limit driving (to use less gas), and combine trips when possible. I get groceries at whatever store I'm going to for something else. I have different reasons for different stores, including:
Wal-Mart: lower prices, and sometimes the only place locally to get some things. The lowest gasoline price ($3.49) in town yesterday.
Brookshire's: I get prescriptions filled there, and it's easy to get groceries while waiting
Kroger: the only place in town to get out-of-town newspapers inside the store. I really don't like newspaper vending machines

I like to go to Wal-Mart between 2 and 4 AM. There's few customers, the traffic is light, and it's not so hot outside (I was in the middle of the south central hot spot almost 3 weeks ago, but it's in the seventies now).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

If I drive in a logical loop from my home and back again, it's approximately 3 miles. Within that loop I can stop at WM, Fry's, Safeway, Albertson's, and Basha's (Local chain), without expending any additional fuel. This allows me to take advantage of whoever may be the best prices on items I need.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Fry's... Unfortunately if I included Fry's in my loop I'd blow the whole day there and not get anything else done. One of the few stores anywhere where I can get excited about a shopping trip.
This relates closely to one post in this thread, but i don't know which one.
The K-mart near me was one of the ones that closed, and 2 years or so later, Home Depot bought it, and after a few months, tore it down and built a HD.
Then there's another plaza where the supermarket closed, and a couple other rather big stores, and then smaller ones until all that was left were a few doctor's offices, and in a different building take-out Chinese, a Christian book store, and a couple other little things. I think someone bought the first building and forced the doctors to leave, and the story in the city or n'hood newspaper was a couple years ago that Wal-mart is coming. No trace of it yet, and a few more places in the second building are vacant now. Even the take-out place isn't always open and when it is, it closes at 9. I think walmart has bought the property, but they're not doing anything.
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

We have no Wal-Mart very close to us, but I find when traveling, especially on vacations involving camping, they're very useful. Unlike Target, they have an excellent sporting goods and camping department. I also like Fred Meyer (Kroger owns them now) for that type of stuff when up in Oregon.
The Wal-Marts closest to us have no grocery stores, so I can't comment on them. But from what I've seen of them, they don't have a lot of what I'd be buying anyway, Costco has much better quality stuff like meat, fish, and produce.
What I like about Wal-Mart is that unlike stores like Safeway and Lucky, they don't gouge on everything other than what's on sale that week. When I "save" more than I spend at Safeway it means that everything I purchased was less than half the regular price.

There are several Wal-Marts around here. I no longer know of any that DON'T sell groceries (the last one grew a couple of years ago).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
SMS wrote:

The RVers like Walmart. Walmart doesn't go all postal if you park your RV on their lot during the night. Some posts on RV groups mention that the store manager knocks on their door in the mornings with free coffee and donuts!
Most of the RVers reciprocate by buying stuff at the store, so, in return for an otherwise unused spot during the dark, the store gets some added business. Plus goodwill.
And Walmart allows Salvation Army bell-ringers during the Chrismas season in contrast to Target who has the Army's kettle thrown in the dumpster and the bell-ringers beaten and arrested (I may be exaggerating here).

<Mark Harmon voice>
Ya think, DiNozzo?
</Mark Harmon voice>
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You forgot the head-slap.
*sighing, wishing NCIS would start back up again*
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

Ditto to that. Thankfully, I'm enjoying Burn Notice in the interim.
--
Dave

Yeah and liked In Plain Sight this year too.
Dave Bugg wrote:

Me, too! There are apparently 9 episodes for the summer and then it's taking a hiatus and in a few months will be back with 7 more episodes.
Do you like In Plain Sight?
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

Yeah, although I'm still warming up to it. I have also started to enjoy Psych which has a sorta juvenile humor to it, but it's fun.
--
Dave

This guy is going to make a terrible replacement for Leno.
ya, kind of like that four eyed drew MF carey taking bob barkers place.....

Amen to that! I have tried to watch him (follows Leno here) and can see no humor at all in his monologue. His "apeing" is way overboard also.
I suspect "The Tonight Show" will tank within 6 months of the replacement.
Harry K
I thought that about the PIR after drew MF carey took it over....... but he's still there.