"We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

Page 11 of 12

Women LOVE WalMart, I know I cant say anything bad about WalMart around my wife. Women expect value and low prices and they get that from Wal Mart. Men on the other hand have the luxury to be idealistic, union loyal, anti-chinese activists, or whatever concept floats their political boat, etc. Whereas most women just want to make the family budget function properly, and Wal Mart lets them accomplish that. For most towns a Wal Mart is a boon to the local economy, because soon after they open, many other smaller retailers and restaurants will infill the area creating economic growth. Chicago union-strapped politicos have kept Wal Mart out of the poor black neighborhoods, against the will of the poor residents. Well those residents are still suffering with no place to buy fresh produce, or much of anything else for that matter, and a serious lack of local jobs.
RickH wrote:

It's interesting where there are, and are not, Walmart stores. New York City - 0 Boston - 0 Chicago - 0 San Francisco - 0 Philadelphia - 2 Washington, D.C. - 0 Los Angeles - 1 Minneapolis - 0 Albany - 1 Providence - 1 Pittsburgh - 2 Boulder - 0 Denver - 1 Seattle - 0
Meanwhile: Houston - 17 Dallas - 9 Oklahoma City - 12 Memphis - 5 Raleigh - 4 Richmond - 3 Columbus - 6 Indianapolis - 8

With many of those 0 cities, the Wal Marts are ringed just over the city limits in the adjacent suburbs. Drawing the shoppers out of the city, a real boon for adjacent suburbs that can land a Wal Mart.

Albany has 3 of them and I live near the Albany burbs, which have an additional 5 .
HeyBub wrote:

There are 4 WM stores within the Los Angeles city limits. Two are in areas that have been hit with retail blight (for which WM takes great pride). Admittedly, the penetration is low in comparison other metropolitan areas.
Bob wrote:

According to Walmart, only one store in Los Angeles:
http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_results.do?sfsearch_city=los+angeles&sfsearch_state &sfsearch_zip=&continue=&x)&y
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_results.do?sfsearch_city=los+angeles&sfsearch_state &sfsearch_zip=&continue=&x)&y

city limits of Los Angeles and are subject to its zoning and taxation regulations.
Bob wrote:

Ah, okay. They are within the incorporated city limits of Los Angeles. As for zoning, I see how Walmart was able to sneak in (at least to Panorama City). Walmart's location was once a General Motors assembly plant. GM moved out, leaving the area zoned for commercial enterprises, and Walmart moved in before the Los Angeles zoning commission could blink. I guess.
I'm in a city only two down from LA in size (NY, LA, Chicago, Houston...), but we don't have any zoning. So I'm not as familiar with how zoning regulations work.

This is something new to worry about, that WM takes great pride in retail blight.

;)
RickH wrote:

If that is true, then I am not a woman, even though I have carried and delivered four children.
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

In the formative years of our species, the hunter/gatherer societies, the men hunted and the women gathered.
To the degree that there's a gene imposing a genetic mandate to gather roots and berries, a female possessing such an attribute would bring home more victuals, thereby standing a better chance of her offspring surviving and passing on that gene. Biologically, that's why women like to "shop;" they're following the innate trait of "gathering," or at least looking for something to gather. Even today, they often bring home fruits and nuts - from the bars.
It's possible you're an outlier.
We men have it easier. We're just programmed to kill things.

Hehehehehehe! :)
George Carlin once said that if women ran things, we'd have NO wars!
...just INTENSE negotiations every 28 days!
--
:)
JR

On Aug 19, 12:55pm, Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Go into any wall mart and 90 percent or more of the shoppers are WOMEN, you are the exception.

Go into any wall mart and 90 percent or more of the shoppers are WOMEN, you are the exception.
I am also female, and I only buy the brand name stuff that is exactly what is available at other retailers, only about 25% less at Walmart. I hate Walmart, but I need the lower prices. However, I'm VERY careful about what I buy.

Why?
Those lower prices must "trump" whatever reasons you have to "hate" Walmart.

Are you LESS careful when shopping elsewhere?
--
:)
JR

In article

So Samantha was right: She's NOT a woman? <big grin>
(Just making a joke using your semantics.)
In the Photo Center, those that stand (some for HOURS) at the kiosks, ordering prints from digital media are, by far and away, disproportionately women.
This disproportion is particularly obvious when it is a mother with one or more preschooler in the shopping cart. Mom makes these unfortunate babies and toddlers sit, sometimes for hours, while they ignore their anguished cries of boredom while she orders photos prints. There ought to be a law...
--
:)
JR

RickH wrote:

I hear commercials all the time with people praising Wal Mart. They say stuff like, "When our local factory closed down and moved to China, we were devastated. No jobs. Then Wal Mart moved in. 300 jobs. Thank you Wal Mart." What isn't said is that it is likely that Wal Mart, or the Wal Mart business plan, was a big part of the reason the factory moved. They demand a lot from their suppliers. Inferior products for a lower price. And another reason the factory moved is the fact that Americans are cheap asses. You complain about jobs going overseas for cheaper labor and operating costs but you have absolutely no problem buying those products over slightly more expensive and harder to find American made products. You reap what you sow. If you aren't willing to spend time searching for American made products, (yes it does take effort now days), and spend a little more for those products, then you are a BIG part of the problem and should STFU.
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 04:13:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ahole.com wrote Re Re: "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!":

We aren't cheap, just particular about where we spend our money. For example, we love taxes and consider it our patriotic duty to pay higher taxes.
It's true because brother Obama says so.
Caesar Romano wrote:

If you were particular about where you spend your money, you'd care where the items you did buy came from and under what conditions they were produced. Any "compassionate conservative" knows that.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:25:28 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

If so, or even if not, maybe this is the origin of Samantha's post about not paying taxes, even though they are very different.