we have no water...HELP

Hi we have a 300 foot deep well with a submersible pump, its appoxiamately 85 feet from the well location to the under the house hookup which has that blue can thing with the pressure gauge on it.

Now my brother in law did come and use a torch and banged on pipes and had the water running some, but as soon as he left, the water stopped.

This is OUR only water supply...

Who do we call? A plumber or well people?

Reply to
momma_ellen

Hmmm. Where are you? Sounds like your pipe is frozen? My cabin has well but intake pipe is wrapped with heating tape to prevent freezing in cold weather.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

buffalo ny: we have city water, but here's some guessing: if the water supply is located too close to the surface of the ground instead of below the frost line it will freeze. if the pipes pass thru a cold space on their way into the warm home they must be heated. if you have a crawl space that is subject to wind chill and freezing temperatures, i would look there first. some folks have a pump house or shed at the top of the well where you can check some of the well equipment and electricity for the pump. i would first check with your neighbors to see how they may deal with this. then call both their recommended plumber and your well company for their advice and a service call. once you learn how the system works, post the servicing directions and manuals for each component. when the water flow starts, you must either heat the freezing pipe or waste a lot of it to keep it moving so it won't freeze up again. wind is the enemy, snow is sometimes a friendly windbreaker depending on how it drifts. here's more:

buffalobill

And unless you can solve this by protecting the freezing spot, relocating deeper, etc, then in future periods when you will have these extreme temps, you can prevent it from freezing by periodically drawing enough water to refill the lines with warmer ground water. You can also leave a faucet running, but depending on where the freeze point is, how long the run is, etc, it won't be as effective.

Reply to
trader4

You should have left the water running so it wouldn't freeze back up.

Reply to
DK

Also, if the underground run is metal pipe, it can be thawed by a welding service. With the right arc welding rig, they can hook onto either end of the run and pass a current through it, which will heat it enough to melt the ice. Can take a couple hours, but it does work.

Reply to
trader4

Something nobody mentioned, it could be a stuck pressuretrol, try banging on it and see if the pump starts working again. Its a pressure switch, looks like a box, mounted on the tank with electrical wires coming out of it.

Reply to
Mikepier

Call a wellman and let him solve your problem. Thats how he makes his living.. I recently had same experience. My well is 100 ft deep and the pump is at bottom. the discharge pipe was PVC and the torque of the pump over 13 yrs operation twisted the pipe off at the connection to the pump. Pump ran but water was recirculating back in well.. Wellman replaced discharge pipe and was done in an hour.

Reply to
Jack