We are the Champions of the World

Canada beats Sweden (after beating the US two days ago).

We are the champions - of the World.

Reply to
Wayne Gretzky

Thanks Nico!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

philo

Just another NFL game when you look at the team members.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You don't understand the concept of hockey do you?

Reply to
PV

Hi, Canada = hockey. Now we are back in rightful position.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yup Canada's NHL ringers beat everyone else's NHL ringers.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ed,

NFL?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Should have been NHL

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Meant NHL.

What concept? National game of Canada Olympic teams from many countries consisted of NHL players. Sort of like the All Star games Highest score wins.

If an all amateur team won I'd say you have bragging rights. Many of these games were just a mix of pro players. Yes, they are all good players, but I see this as more of an all-star pickup game.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You can have it every year for all I care just take back Justin Bieber.

Reply to
Meanie

Nobody cares but the polar bears. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Canadians like to make love doggy style so that they can both watch the hockey game (grin).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

People should realize that even though the national sport in Canada is still officially lacrosse, the only sport that interests people up here is hockey and a game called "curling".

That's mostly because Canada is a cold country in the winter, and so it's not expensive to maintain an ice surface to play hockey on or to curl on. Also, there is a well organized Canadian junior hockey program set up so that kids learn to skate and the rules of the game at a young age.

Canadians consider hockey to be "their" game, and so not winning the world championship or gold medal is considered a "loss" to another team.

But, I feel that Canada, the USA and Russia fielding professional hockey players from the NHL to play at the Olympics does the sport more harm than good. Countries which don't have professional leagues from which to select an all start team just don't bother competing in hockey, so every 4 years it's the same 7 or 8 countries that compete for the Olympic medals.

If it were a truly amateur venue, then it would still be the countries where hockey is popular that would end up on the podium, but other countries, like Spain, Italy and Japan would field teams for hockey as well.

Reply to
nestork

From a country that fields an NBA team in the summer Olympics, that's pretty funny.

While I tend to agree that the introduction of pro athletes into the games has changed the concept of the games, but what defines an amateur these days?

Reply to
PV

My feelings are the same with basketball too. And our hockey team was NFL

There are few amateurs in the Olympics these days as it is very expensive to compete and train for years.. Some are making lots of money from endorsements. Of course, you do have to be good and have the right personality.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, Not any team can come to Olympics, it needs to pass pre-qualifying games leading to Olympics. Any how Olympic's original spirit has gone out the window long ago.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I guess I feel the same way about Canada and the USA sending professional hockey players to compete with amateur hockey players from Slovenia, Belarus and Poland as I would about England, Italy and Brazil sending professional soccer players to compete with us. What's the point in holding such a competition? To show how unevenly matched a soccer game can be?

I think the Olympic spirit would thrive if money, endorsements and professionals got out of the Olympics. That's because some Olympic events truly are amateur (like the two man bob sled race) whereas others are not, like hockey, figure skating and downhill skiing. Who is going to watch bob sled racing, and therefore how much money are professional bob sled racers going to make, even on endorsements? Zilch. I bet no one in here can tell me the name of the gold medalists in the two man bobsled at the last winter games in Vancouver, Canada. So, some Olympic competitors make millions per year in salary and endorsements, and other Olympic hopefuls have to borrow money from their parents for air fare to go to the Olympic games.

It's a sporting tradition that's become the wh0re of global politics. We need equality at the Olympics, not professionals.

Reply to
nestork

Hey you forgot to say "the two man team with the BMW designed sled" No endorsement money for you.

Agree 100%

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski