WD-40 Question

Page 3 of 3

Bingo! Mine was a van, too, and the exact same weather conditions. WD40 does exactly what it was designed to do. If you like WD40, try LPS1, a better brand of the same type of water displacement snake oil. Also comes in LPS2 and LPS3, each a thicker, higher viscosity, version.
nb
Add pictures here
✖

in the spray can worked good too, but you had to wait a minute or so before reinstalling the cap, or the first spark would bounce the cap off the hood, retaining screws, clips, or whatever not-withstanding. You don't need to ask how I know - - - - - - .
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 19, 9:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

lol ==
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/19/2010 11:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had an AMC Gremlin for a couple years and now and then I would find the distributor cap popped loose, but the wires were still holding it in position and it would still run as good as normal! I later found out they had a problem as they cooled down, the vacuum advance line would suck in some gasoline/fumes and leave it inside the cap. Spark - Pop!
I seriously wish I still had that Gremlin.
Add pictures here
✖

They were seriously underated cars.
I attended a road race at Leguna Seca CA in the early 70s. The premier event had 40 Porsche Carreras battling it out, mostly amongst themselves, with a handfull of heavily race-modified Corvettes fighting it out for dead last. Astonishingly, in 15th and 16th place (honest!) were two factory AMXs! They both died mid-way through the race, but it musta really burned a buncha big-buck Carrera owners to have to look at AMC taillights for a whole lotta laps
The more interesting race was the later sports sedan class, where it came down to just three cars seriously mixing it up. A BMW 2002, A Volvo (242GT?), and an ....wait for it.... AMC Gremlin! The Gremlin finally edged out the Volvo, but couldn't quite pass the first place Beemer, despite the two finishing nose-and-nose and the Gremlin handily beating out two dozen other BMW entrants. I always got a chuckle outta that race, as 2002s were considered THE premier sports sedan of their day. More miffed Euro owners roundly trounced by an alleged crap car upstart. hee hee.....
Leguna Seca was always good for humiliating puffed up drivers and arrongant factory race teams.
nb
Add pictures here
✖

big-block taking 3 runs on the slalom track to beat a 318 4X4 ramcharger on snow tires with a plough frame mounted???
His third and fastest run beat my 'charger by something less than 1 /100 of a second. On all the other runs I "had" him by over 2/100. On my last run I had his first run by over half a second.
The beauty of low range full-time 4 wheel drive!!!
Add pictures here
✖

Hmmm....Olde Tymer in my local (much beloved) traditional hardware store agrees with you. He steered me to CRC Heavy Duty Silicone. I haven't yet conducted the requisite sophisticated comparison tests to prove/disprove his opinion <g>. Just interesting how you mechanically buy the same product for years...decades...until somebody comes along with a Different Idea.
HB

Add pictures here
✖
On 11/20/2010 1:26 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Just shows that everyone's got an opinion is all. Some more geezer-esque than others.
Not refuting the old gent, but there are places you definitely don't want to use silicone, particularly around painted surfaces or those that are to be painted. Like WD-40, silicone is useful and works well for its intended purposes.
✖
On 11/19/2010 3:20 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

I did find that it IS effective in making a wet distributor cap usable to get home. HOWEVER, who has a distributer cap anymore? So yes, worthless in this day and age. I can get kerosene for 2 something a gallon if i need to and put it in the wd pump sprayer and no one would tell the difference.
--
Steve Barker
✖

Speaking as someone who has actually tried that, I am sure I would be able to tell the difference.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

✖
On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:28:58 -0600, Steve Barker

You hear about spraying dists with WD-40 more than anything else. I think my last dist was at least 30 years ago. Threw away my dwell meter long ago. Wish I'd known about WD-40 in '68, before I started doing my own car work. Had a '64 Olds Holiday '88 with a V-8 that wouldn't fire after it set in the rain a couple days. I put an alcohol heater under it when I just had to get it going. Caused the crankcrase to explode. Did it twice! A kid. Second time bent the valley plate causing oil to leak and cost me a couple bills getting it fixed. Think that's when I got more cautious "fixing" things. For those using WD-40 on anything other than spaying distributors, there's better and usually cheaper to use. Regular motor oil in an oilcan works for most common hinge lubing. Home interior doors, car doors, etc. A couple drops, work it in, wipe of the excess. Same for locks, a couple drops on the key, work it in, wipe off excess. I use 3 in One for some things, but mostly plain clean motor oil and a rag. A silicone spray or grease stick for what's allergic to oil. All kinds of lubes, grease cutters and solvents that work better than WD-40. Cutting oil? Last time I bought a gallon it was cheap as dirt. So maybe I have 6-10 different lubes/solvents around. BFD. Every one works much better than WD-40. But hey, if you like WD-40, use it. I love freedom of choice! God Bless America!
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/20/2010 11:28 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

I think most of us have ignition coils and plug wires.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/19/2010 12:41 PM, Bob wrote:

I think the best possible use for WD-40 is for spraying spark plug wires, distributor cap, and the coil(coils).
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Miklos wrote:

you mean, to displace water? what a novel use.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/19/2010 5:01 PM, chaniarts wrote:

Isn't it though? How I ever figured out to use a water displacer to displace water is sheer fricken genius!
Add pictures here
✖

No

✖
september.org:

And another WD-40 mega-thread begins :-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:41:54 -0500, Bob wrote:

It can be all sorts of things temporarily - it's just extremely poor as a long-term fix for anything, and better solutions normally exist for specific problems.
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖