WD-40 Question

Page 1 of 3
Hello,
Always wondering about this, in regard to WD-40:
How can a product (claim to) be both a lubricant, and at the same time a solvent ?
Aren't they at opposite ends of the spectra ?
Thanks, Bob

No

No. Petroleum products easily do both.
Bob wrote:

Can you name one liquid lubricant which is unable to act as a solvent?
Jon
On 11/19/2010 1:04 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Teflon dispersion.
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:14:32 -0500, Frank

Which is "technically" not a "liquid" lubricant. It is a solid lubricant in suspension.
On 11/19/2010 1:04 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

KY Jelly! Actually Astro Glide is a liquid!!!! ;-)
Tony Miklos wrote:

Those are water based lubricants. At a minimum, we know they will absorb water, water which is undoubtedly a solvent.
Jon
On 11/19/2010 10:31 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Yes I thought of that but it still seemed like a good answer. ;-)
Tony Miklos wrote:

The original point was that damn near every liquid (at room temperature and pressure) is a solvent, for one thing or another, and you'd be hard pressed to come up with a liquid lubricant that *wasn't* one!
Jon

Nope. Water will act as both when you mop a floor.
Jim
On 11/19/2010 11:41 AM, Bob wrote:

wd40 is neither it is a water dispersant. nothing else.
it is basically kerosene.
--
Steve Barker
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:40:36 -0600, Steve Barker

Well, WD-40 is not "basically kerosene", and does not contain any kerosene. Kerosene, however is both a solvent and a lubricant. It is a very light oil.
On 11/19/2010 10:46 AM snipped-for-privacy@smallboots.com spake thus:

Stoddard solvent, to be exact. You could look it up ...
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:16:24 -0800, David Nebenzahl

I have no need to look it up. I have known this for ages. Actually the latest MSDS no longer calls it Stoddard Solvent, even though it is still the same stuff.
snipped-for-privacy@smallboots.com wrote:

The latest MSDS doesn't refer to the same CAS No as Stoddard solvent, so it isn't still the same stuff (unless it never was, and any MSDS that said so was in error). It seems to me that earlier MSDS did refer to Stoddard solvent, too, however, altho I didn't do any other looking.
<http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf
3 - Composition/Information on Ingredients Ingredient CAS # Weight Percent Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50 Petroleum Base Oil 64742-58-1 <25 64742-53-6 64742-56-9 64742-65-0 LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 12-18 Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 2-3 Surfactant Proprietary <2 Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture <10
Two interesting things -- 1st, the Aliphatic Hydrocarbons listed first and third share same CAS so they're nearly identical altho there's one that's a lower vapor pressure component. Wonder if that's not in response to CA, etc., w/ volatiles that might have prevented distribution otherwise...
Secondly, the only interesting thing that does the work of the water displacement function is "proprietary mixture" so no clues on it.
Stoddard solvent is CAS No. 8052-41-3 <http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0569.html
The CAS for the aliphatic hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 is a "deodorized" kerosene.. <http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:40:36 -0600, Steve Barker

Contrary to what appears to be common opinion, WD40 IS a lubricant (all-be-it a pretty poor one), a solvent, and a penetrant (again, a relatively poor one) as well as a water displacer.
It is NOT Kerosene, although it is closely related to kerosene in it's construct, and kerosene is almost as good as a penetrant and solvent - and not too far off as a lubricant.
Kerosene and WD40 are both good cutting lubricants for aluminum.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

You better go back and read the MSDS more closely;it is ~70% kerosene. You have to read the MSDS for each of the listed CAS numbers,and then you see that it's mostly kerosene.
IOW,"basically kerosene".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If only you knew more about what you were looking at!
On Nov 19, 2:30pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And ordinary H2O is better, especially with the trick additives used these days.
Joe