WD-40

Page 2 of 4

That was supposed to be 1601
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Gotcha. :)
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well I heard a Giant Sequoia toppled and imbedded in it was a can of Ace Hardware kero.

150 years is 1.5 CENTURIES [note use of plural form]
On 3/21/2009 4:32 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

Bullshit.
I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.
It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better products for *some* situations. All true.
But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a hallucination?
It's great for little lube jobs that need just a squirt or two. It also works as a penetrating oil, and, yes, as a water-displacement fluid (hence the "WD").
mostly pears.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

BS! WD-40 is solvent. Better use Teflon based lubricant. WD-40 is not oil.
On 3/21/2009 5:45 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

So what's your source for this statement, Tony? I've heard this many times before, but the published ingredients for WD-40 don't support it.
mostly pears.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Personal experience. Any lubricant effect of WD-40 is gone in a month or so when proper use of oil or grease lasts much longer.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ya, and if you try the same experiment without the WD, it'll work just as well.
That's sad. I've heard similar about electric motor berrings. They only run a day or two on WD.
When I was in school, the high school remastered the building. The custodial went through with a pump oiler of WD, and soaked em all. I've heard that 10w30 motor oil will kill Medeco locks, makes them sluggish. My old HS had Sargent brand, standard tumblers. They may have been OK with WD.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
David Nebenzahl wrote:

aromatics that quickly evaporate and leave a tacky goo film behind. It isn't a lubricant.

It certainly is not the best, but it is a lubricant. Look up the word in the dictionary.
Lubricants are typically used to separate moving parts in a system. This has the benefit of reducing friction and surface fatigue together with reduced heat generation, operating noise and vibrations. Lubricants achieve this by several ways. The most common is by forming a physical barrier i.e. a thin layer of lubricant separates the moving parts. This is termed hydrodynamic lubrication. In cases of high surface pressures or temperatures the fluid film is much thinner and some of the forces are transmitted between the surfaces through the lubricant. This is termed elasto-hydrodynamic lubrication.
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:33:46 -0400, against all advice, something

When I use Astroglide, the friction and surface fatigue do indeed go down. But the operating noise and vibrations increase, until the system runs past its failsafe point and needs to be reset.
--

Real men don\'t text.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.
On 3/21/2009 7:10 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

Well, wise guy, water *is* a lubricant (and is used as such in many applications). Obviously, not the kind of lubricant we can use in many situations.
Doesn't bother me in the least. If you don't want to use WD-40, your loss.
mostly pears.

Assuming that is in an automotive system, there must be either an additive (ask the NASCAR folks) or ethylene glycol (antifreeze) present.
Joe
Joe wrote:

it's not an absolute requirement . And what the HELL does NASCAR have to do with it?