WD-40

Page 1 of 4
I got this slightly old can of WD-40.
From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the least the thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed.
Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I thought it was the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and nothing come out. I know there's still propellent in it. Looks like the cheapo valve clogged its silly self.
Right on into the trash can. Right?
Seems to me the older WD-40 cans (from the 80's) worked better'n this.
Know of a comparable commonly available product with a good valve and spray-head?
Thx, Peetie
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:48:56 -0600, Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

You can buy WD-40 in gallon cans and put it into pump bottles. Then the quality of the sprayer is completely up to you.

just shows ya how good WD-40 is at gumming things up.... B-)
I had one WD-40 can do the same thing.I punched a hole in the top and drained out the WD-40 into a jar.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I trust that, before you did that, you determined the can was really out of propellant!
Else the ice pick you used to poke the hole may very well be in your neighbor's yard or you have a new ear-piercing.

But he would be well lubricated.
Bob wrote:

not with WD-40 he wouldn't have been. WD-40 is not a lubricant.
Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So you've picked the wrong product to begin with.
Steve Barker wrote:

"Known as 'the can with thousands of uses,' WD-40 protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and LUBRICATES just about anything. WD-40 is also great when it comes to cleaning grease, grime, and other marks from most surfaces. [emphasis added]"
http://www.wd40.com /
If you can't trust WD-40, who can you trust?

Steve you are just wasting time talking down WD-40. It is good for everything including moles, colds, and tight butt holes. I would not even have a can of that junk in my house.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

In its defense, it is good at flushing muck out of old locks or other mechanical things that you don't want to disassemble prior to lubing them. Also good for drying out wet distributor caps (its original purpose.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I think I read in one of those household hint things that it's good for relieving certain bug bite itching. Smell will keep futures at bay I would think anyway :-)
Red Green wrote:

that's what kerosene does. people been putting kerosene on wasp stings and bug bites for centuries.

Geesh, that must work better than a garlic necklace at keeping people with colds and vampires away huh?
Red Green wrote:

Well since colds are unavoidable, and vampires don't exist, i shall write your comment off as sarcasm .
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:09:31 -0500, Steve Barker

For the most part, they only sell kerosene by the gallon. That alone makes WD-40 more useful. And they don't sell kerosene in aerosol cans. Sure it WD-40 costs more that way but it's often much more useful. I'm not just talking about wasp stings but the hundreds of other things WD is good for.
mm wrote:

5 gallons of kerosene isn't that expensive. I do keep a can around for parts cleaning etc. Kerosene is nice for parts that you won't get to right away because it will leave a thin layer of paraffin on whatever you've soaked in it. In fact I think I have the internal bits of an old steering box soaking in a coffee can of kero right now.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Steve Barker wrote:

Good trick since it has only been around for 150 years or so :)
--

dadiOH

He's right though. This one, the last one, and the one before. 102 years can cover three centuries.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That was true in 2001, but not in 2009. Today it would be 110 years.

That can be true for any three centuries. You really only need one year and two days. I said it CAN cover. It CAN be 1499, 1500, and 1501 too.