Ways to remove Ants

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest ( which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

Reply to
Luckyme

Mix up a gallon or so of Sevin (using label directions) and pour it on the nest.

Reply to
gfretwell

In the past, I had good luck with granular poisoned ant bait. You spread the stuff around, the ants take in to the queen and the colony dies off.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Were it my house, I would use the "bait" type traps. They come in various forms. The ones I just got from WallyWorld are a plastic container with a special liquid and a wick at the top. The trap is keep moist until deployed by a foil cap.

Anyway, you just place these baits where you see the ants and remove the foil cover. The ants come for a drink and take some poison home with them. In theory it will kill the queen who is safe in the middle of the nest.

Since they depend upon the ants taking poison home with them, the directions say to NOT use these baits in close conjuction with regular poisons: you want them to take the poison home and spread the wealth.

Reply to
John Gilmer

gasoline and a match

Reply to
Big Bob

If you know where the nest is, most anything will kill them, amonia, bleach, gasolene,etc.

Reply to
ransley

Let the gas set a bit. Diesel fuel without fire. Grits (best) or corn meal around the mound (ole home remedy method) and they carry the food into the nest. Rain and moisture will expand grits (explode) in the nest.

What kind of ants are these? Helps with the answer.

Reply to
Oren

"Luckyme" wrote

Old fashioned remedy and works without chemicals or harm. Dry day, take a handful of regular (non-instant) grits. Pile them on there. They eat'em and cant handle them but will carry to the queen as well.

No more ants.

Reply to
cshenk

No self-respecting Southerner would use instant grits! Much less, have them in the cupboard.

Reply to
Oren

Geez are they bothering you? I have a theory, if its not a hazard leave it be.......

this applies to everything

Reply to
bob haller

Terro. You'll see hundreds of ants for 1-3 days, then the whole colony including the queen dies. No need to dig.

Reply to
Phisherman

Why do you feel the need to remove them? Getting into the house?

Reply to
norminn

Amdro Ant Block does the job for me. Look in the garden department at any home center or hardware store.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Since I got my house treated with Termidor I dont have a problem with ants. Once in a while I will see a new hill but usually within a week they are gone.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Dilute out a half gallon of ammonia to a gallon or two, enough to fill the nest.

No more nest.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

remove their food source

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Keep in mind that there are many different kinds of ants and different areas of the country make for different solutions.

Can you identify the type of ant and tell us what part of the world you live in?

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

2 Tbs. Sugar mixed with 1 Tbs. boric acid set where the suckers are coming in; simple and easily removed once the problem moves on. Mix up a cup's worth and pour around ant hole.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Good grief! Mix with water and a few drops will do it.

Reply to
norminn

"I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?"

Reply to
Kyle