ways to heat up a house

Page 3 of 3

Many motors have the speed determined by the frequency they operate on and the number of poles in the motor. Read poles as just the way the windings of the motor are if you don't under stand that part. . The motor will run at the ratio of 50 hz to 60 hz if you go from one frequency to the other. Faster on the 60 hz frequency lines. You probably have to change the internal connections of the motor to make it run off the 240 volt line.
Deodiaus wrote:

You need to stay with the design air flow of your furnace. The wire for the blower in heat mode should be shown on the wiring diagram which is usually pasted to the inside of one of the removable panels. It will show where to plug in the wire on the control board.
TDD
Deodiaus wrote:

If the burner is cycling off and on, a booster fan would make no difference. Blower speed too high can reduce the plenum temperature too fast so the burner must cycle faster, but it is not going to make it shut down faster. Just the opposite.
From everything I've read here so far, I'm still back at the limit switches not set properly or not working properly. Blowers only more air, burners make hat. IMO, you need a pro to find the real cause. Oh, and ca we assume you are trying to keep the house in the normal 68 to 72 range that most of us use? Not 85 degrees.
The guys who design and build furnaces generally know what they are doing. I've read several posts in this thread. Medium speed for heat makes sense. Also look into more insulation. Plastic on the windows, that kind of thing. A humidifier is also a good idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Deodiaus wrote:

I'm used to USA spec equipment but using a higher voltage wouldn't change the speed of the blower motor unless it has a winding for it. Anyway, the controls are probably designed to only feed 110 volts to the motor. As far as more air flow, forced air heating systems are designed for a specific BTU in relation to air flow. If the air flow is increased beyond design limits, efficiency will be lost because the air does not have time to heat up because it is traveling too fast through the heat exchanger. Of course if the air is slowed down, the combustion chamber will overheat. I've seen this happen when someone closes too many registers. Your furnace may be malfunctioning because the burners are lighting and going out over and over again. I would watch the furnace go through a complete cycle to see if it's operating properly. I couldn't find that model number, did you post the correct model number? Perhaps the label will list the BTU and air flow specs for the furnace and you could post it.
TDD
Deodiaus wrote:

How good is the wall insulation? If the house is old, it may not have any. If so, insulating it would make a huge difference.

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:34:53 -0800, Deodiaus wrote:

Wall insulation, attic insulation, double-glazing, sealing sources of drafts. Opening curtains on south-facing windows when the sun's heating the windows. Maybe some solar furnace panels on bare bits of south-facing walls, if you can stand to look at them.
Check with your local power company; there might be grants available for all kinds of things.
cheers
Jules

check to make sure the furnace filter is clean. Sometimes if too dirty, it will put extra load on the fan which will shut off with a thermal check.
GoHabsGo wrote:

Or it will restrict the air volume, causing the heat exchanger over-temp switch to cut off the burner.